Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quaskygirl_gw

Dig your own Plant Sale in Washington

quaskygirl
16 years ago

For anyone in the Washington area...

I found this on the KCII Radio Classifieds (local Washington radio station) and thought I'd share with you all.

I haven't been able to get ahold of her yet, but will try again and let you know what she has available when I speak to her.

What a great find!!

"FOR SALE -Dig your own plant sale. Clearing out a large perennial space with grasses and assorted perennials. Prices will depend on size of clump wanted, bring your own shovel, boxes or buckets. 319-653-4920 Janet"

I included her name and number only because it was already posted on the internet where I found it. Hope she doesn't mind. Maybe we can help her get that area cleared out! I sure will try to do my part!... ;0)

quasky

Comments (6)

• oldpeony
    16 years ago

Please post what you find out. I'm interested and would drive up to Washington on this Friday afternoon or Sunday afternoon. The weather should be better by then I hope. Ruth

• quaskygirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ruth,

Last night, I spoke to the woman having the sale. She seemed super nice, and told me a few of the plants she had. They were coming from a full sun garden, so no hostas, but she had a lot of tall, medium, and short ornamental grasses and a lot of different kinds of flowers (I wrote some of them down, but left the list at home today...will post it later tonight)

She had a varied work schedule, so I would suggest calling her personally to ask her when would be a good time to come down.

I do love this rain, but I hope it lets up by the weekend too!

quasky
    (jessica)

Here is a link that might be useful: Radio Classifieds - Plant Sale Ad

• iowa50126
    16 years ago

Okay, I admit I'm a skeptic...but, I just want to know if I understand the nature of this offer.

The seller wants me to drive to her home after I call and book the date. Bring my own tools and containers. Then labor to unearth her plants. Pack them in my containers. Then pay her money for the plants. And, the pricing of the plants has not been determined in advance. What if she wants $20 a clump after the digging is done?

If the seller has some really rare specimens this might be worth it. But, why pray tell, would I pay good money for potentially diseased second hand ordinary plants that I could buy fresh from the greenhouse with out all the work?

Now if the plants were free...I'd understand the deal.

There's a definite lack of "quid pro quo" here. Remember what PT Barnum said was "born every minute".

Just my 2¢

Pete in IF

• quaskygirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pete,

I was surprised by your very negative response to my post. I think it was a little harsh...

I am still in the "beginning" stages of my garden (and this forum), with much room to grow (pun intended :) SO I was excited by the prospect of a variety of local, well-established plants for, it turns out, a reasonable price, from a nice person in my own small town.

I thought, being such an open and welcoming forum, I would share with you all.

If you think this is some sort of scam, or an otherwise negative thing, do not participate. Simple.

Remember, it was my mother who said..."if you can't say anything nice..."

Jessica (quasky)

• diannp
    16 years ago

Jessica, did you go down to the plant sale?

• lindac
    16 years ago

I know someone who wanted to do away with her perennial garden. She offered them to the local community plant sale with the proviso that we dig and provide the pots and tools and fill the holes. We did, but would never do THAT again!...and the plants were free!
    I have a scam of my own...it goes like this.
    "Want some free Golden tiara hosta?"
    "Yes! Sure!!"
    Me again "Then please bring a pot and some top soil to fill the hole and you can have 1/2 of several clumps of mine."
    So far it's worked every time....but perhaps one day they will catch on that I just am looking for free labor!
    I say...it's a good thing if you can get people to fall for it, but I would never pay for plants on that basis.
    Linda C

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists