Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lettsbets

Shrubs near Black Walnuts?

lettsbets
16 years ago

I have asked this question elsewhere on the web and on the Shrub Forum but with little help beyond references to lists that I've already seen, so, Iowa Friends, perhaps one of you can help. We want to plant a shrub hedge along one side of our yard for summer privacy. It needs to be at least 4-6 feet tall, and we would like one that blooms. My preference is Bridal Wreath (Spirea x vanhouttei) because it's beautiful in bloom, grows quickly, and it reminds me of my grandmother's garden. I am concerned, however, because of black walnut trees that are in our neighbor's yard, about 5-10' from the property line; the hedge will be within the drip-line. The planting area is south-facing, and the trees are limbed up quite high so there is plenty of sun. It's good Iowa soil and within reach of a hose.

As I said, I've seen many lists on the Internet of both juglone-tolerant and -sensitive plants (and some lists are conflicting) but none have mentioned Spirea x vanhouttei or any other spirea. The hedge will be about 35' long, so expense is a major consideration -- exotics need not apply!

Since the experts don't say one way or the other, perhaps someone here can help. Have any of you either seen or grown this combination? If not or if the result not a good one, what substitutes would you recommend? Forsythia is an option, but we've grown it in the past, and it was a bit of a nuisance because it rooted everywhere a branch touched the ground. We are hoping for something neater.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide the best depiction of our situation. Thanks for any suggestions you can give us.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington