Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peas are up!

Posted by Maude_IA z5 Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 04 at 17:49

Well, just the one that scouts for all the others, but I'm expecting to see more tomorrow.

Anyone else have veggies in action?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peas are up!

Mary, I started some "Yard Long Bean Pod" plants just to see if the germination was ok. They germinated and I tried transplanting them into larger pots and they are still living. Question is, will they transplant again (into the ground) and survive? At the rate they are growing, I may need a backhoe to transplant them. Stan

o

Stan, you might have a problem. Peas are more cold resistant than beans. If they were mine, I'd wait a week or two to plant them outside, and then I'd try just a couple of them at first. If they make it and the forecast is favorable, then I'd plant the others.
It would also help if they were in a sheltered, sunny location so the wind couldn't chill them.
Good luck!

o

Maude that is wonderful! When did you plant them.....and what else have you planted outside already?
I was going to wait until mid April to plant peas, spinach, radishes etc. outdoors....but you have just motivated me to get going sooner-thanks!
SOS

o

I planted the peas and some spinach seed late last week - maybe Friday? Right before it rained and got colder. I have only a small garden, so one packet of seed is too much for the space I have - that lets me take chances because I can replant if necessary.

I have some radishes out there, too, but they haven't shown up yet. I'd like to get my broccoli plants in the ground under jugs this week - I think they get larger and produce more if they are planted quite young.

I should tell you that the vegetable garden is up against the south side of the garage so it's sunny and protected from the wind. Also must confess that sometimes I lose things by planting too early, but if there is more seed, it's OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here