Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belgianrose

J&P Roses at Lowe's

BelgianRose
20 years ago

Lowe's in Davenport has Jackson and Perkins roses in the Redi-Plant containers for $8.96. When I saw this I almost fainted as I've seen them other places for $15.00 to $20.00. The assortment is somewhat limited but if you are partial to J&P you might want to check it out.

I bought the climber 'Golden Showers.'

Trish

Bettendorf

Comments (9)

• Miss EFF
    19 years ago

OOOOOHHH! I have a friend that works at Lowe's and wanted to know what I would charge to help her with her kitchen design. (Used to do kitchen design in QCA --- why do the big boxes hire men to do the design work? The floor plans I saw were terrible!!!) J&P rose would be great!

Good choice Trish -- I love climbers and a yellow one to boot! Should be striking for you.

Cathy

• BelgianRose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi, Cathy.

Boy, have you raised a sore point with me!! Why DO men do kitchen design at those places??? There is one cabinet in my kitchen that is useless because it sits in the corner and there is no access to it. Duh!! Obviously, their wives never made them put pots and pans away. LOL LOL

I'm hoping the 'Golden Showers' won't have too much die-back each winter. I didn't want a Canadian climber (which would be more hardy) because I really, really wanted a yellow climber. Only time will tell if it is a mistake.

Trish
    Bettendorf

• wolfie4
    19 years ago

Here in Zone 4, J & P Roses do not winter well and are not at all hardy. The reason is, its all grafted stock and the roots they are grafted to are grown in California. A J@P Rose is not meant for Iowa. The California roots die in cold weather.

• Miss EFF
    19 years ago

Wolfie -- I have to agree with you about my location 10 miles north of Davenport on the top of a hill.

However, when I lived in Rock Island --I had the most beautiful J&P roses and never did lose one. And my grandmother (just slightly south of QCA) always grew nothing but J&P.

I think Trish will be fine in Bettendorf with her roses --every gardens center in Davenport sells J&P. She should be protected enough --unless the deer gets them!!

Me -- I'm going to Weeks or Bucks or David Austins. The wind alone out here will do a rose in. But I still love a yellow climber!!!!

Cathy

• MICinIA
    19 years ago

i am in dav and i have several j&p that do quite well. just found out they are about 10 years old.
    (they came with the house)

• wolfie4
    19 years ago

Well, we are in N.W. Iowa here, we grow Buck roses and they do very well, we get them in Minnesota, grown on their own root. Those Golden Showers are just beautiful.

• BelgianRose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

wolfie,

Have you looked at the Canadian roses (Morden, Parkland, and Explorer series)? They are own-root roses and come back well after a winter in which they die back completely to the ground. The problem with Canadian roses is that the range of colors is not as broad but they are work horses. I believe they are hardy to zone 3 or zone 2.

I've grown 'Morden Centennial' for several years and it is a good performer. Other nice ones are 'Martin Forbisher,' 'John Cabot,' 'Winnepeg Parks,' and 'William Baffin.'

Trish
    Bettendorf

• MICinIA
    19 years ago

was just there yesterday, roses are 1/2 price now...
    4 and 5 dollars.
    i thought the purple tiger looked neat, although i resisted ;)
    if they get even cheaper, i might buy.

• MICinIA
    19 years ago

can someone tell me why these roses in the boxes do not look like natural roses? no thorns, mostly smooth canes???
    they look odd, what am i missing here??
    TIA

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?