Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue false indgo

Posted by slyedog (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 21:30

I have a few blue false indigo plants in some landscaping I did this last spring. After this heavy winter I could finally see the plants. They look dead. There is some purple buds at the base of the stalk.The branches and leaves are all dark brown. Just wondering if they are ok and this is how they are or if I should call the place I purchased them from and had put them in.I have a black thumb so any help is appreciated. They looked great untill the snow started.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue false indgo

Hey slyedog! I have the same plant that is actually a transplant from my Grandmother's! We've moved it each time we've moved...so don't believe the hype when they say it isn't a good mover. It may stunt it for the next year or two, but they will do fine as long as you give extra attention.
The stems, leafs and seed pods are the dried items you are seeing from last year. go ahead and pull that out. Should just pull right out of the soil. If it doesn't , go ahead and cut with shears close to the ground. The new growth is the purple buds you see peeking up through the soil. The will kinda look like asparagus until they are taller.
You will love this shrub when it is in bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here