Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowa_steve

seeking advice on Iowa tree & shrub nurseries

Iowa_Steve
10 years ago

I'm finishing up plans for a complete re-landscape for our 1920s Iowa City home. It's a small lot (50' x 125') but over the next 3 yrs. I'm hoping to plant 5 ornamental trees (syringa pekinensis, malus, amelanchier) and a mixed shrub border that will run around much of the perimeter (viburnums, clethra, aronia, syringa pautla, juniper, other conifers,....)

So. . . I've been looking online for good Iowa sources for trees and shrubs, trying to find locally grown trees where possible. Based on their websites two of the most promising are Nodaway Valley Tree Farm roughly between Des Moines and Omaha (alas, I suspect way too far from IC to deliver) and Fleming Nursery near Cedar Rapids.

Does anyone have any experiences with these or know of others they'd recommend? I'm especially interested in learning about Fleming Nursery--their online database suggests they have a very good selection, but the details of the Nursery's operations are sketchy and I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere beyond their website.

Having lived in Iowa only 5 yrs., I'd also appreciate recommendations on good gardening shops in the IC-Cedar Rapids Corridor (or even Quad Cities or Des Moines if they're worth the extra drive!). So far I'm most familiar with IC Landscaping, Pleasant Valley, and Culver's.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia