Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironbelly1

Who is having a garden walk?

ironbelly1
19 years ago

The month of June is usually the time for garden walks. Many communities have them and they offer some of the best opportunities to learn about plants, landscape design and gardening in general. Of course, the pure enjoyment of viewing wonderful gardens is perhaps the best part. My wife and I like to take in as many as we can and don't mind traveling a bit from our home in Walcott.

Although we have gone on many walks throughout the midwest, our favorite remains the event put on by the folks in the small town of Lowden, Iowa. (On US Hwy. 30 about halfway between Clinton and Cedar Rapids) This is friendly, small town living at its best. With the culmination of the event capped off by a butterfly pork chop picnic in the park -- included in the $10 ticket price -- what a deal!

Also included in the $10 ticket are two gardening lectures (in air conditioned rooms). Ken Lafferty, Linn County Master Gardener and WMT radio garden expert will be presenting the first speaking session at 10am. I am honored to be asked to present the second session at 11am on "A Different Approach To Landscape Design".

Saturday, June 26th -- 9am to 4pm -- Tickets available that morning at city hall. (Trust me -- Lowden is small enough you will be able to find city hall.)

I hope to meet many of you there. :-)

Also, Muscatine is having a garden tour on Saturday, June 19, 2004, (10am to 5pm) titled "Garden Moments". Advance tickets are $13 or 2/$25 or $15 at the door. They list three phone numbers for more information: (563)263-0959, 263-8282, 263-5701

OK. Post all the other wonderful events around the state.

IronBelly

Here is a link that might be useful: Map to Lowden

Comments (17)

• LeslieL
    19 years ago

that sounds like great fun, maybe I will see you in Lowden!

• iowa_jade
    19 years ago

I am having an low key Rose Walk Sunday 5-30-04 in Bettendorf- signs posted at Utica and Golden Valley. My sister asked me to help raise some $ for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. My Niece is 10 years cancer free. They are doing a marathon.

What can I do? I grow roses!

Hopefully they will put on a good show.

Bored Sunday afternoon - come help me fight off the wildlife!

1 block East of Utica Ridge on Golden Valley (just North of Jumers)
    North on Magnolia Court to top of hill- white house/purple trim.

1:00 to 4:00 PM Sunday 05-30-04

See the hordes of marauding bands of rabbits, ground hogs, and possums unleash their depredations on helpless young roses.

See a riot of color ( if it stops raining.)

See Ark '04 under construction ( If it doesn't stop raining.)

See large 20'X 40' worm bed. Don't get too close! Munch! Munch!

See prime examples of such famous roses as 'Rose de Rescht,' 'Sombreuil ,' 'Reine Victoria,' (I lied it died) and her sport 'Mme. Pierre Oger,' 'Rambling Gertie,' and many others. The Rugosas are already in their second flush, along with 'Creeping Charlie' and 'Quack Grass.'

Donations of $1.00 per head suggested. Children free. All proceeds will be given to:

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

• uidigger
    19 years ago

Friday, June 18, 5:30 to 8:30 and Saturday, June 19 from 9:00 to 2:00 the HLV band parents are hosting a garden walk in Victor, IA (exit 205 or 201). There are five gardens on the walk and the proceeds go to the HLV band.
    There will be a perennial sale, live music, refreshments and small town hospitality. Tickets are $5.00, students are
    free and if both dates are rained out it will be on Sunday
    from 1 to 4.

• Miss EFF
    19 years ago

IowaJade --I'm so PROUD of you --What a great and wonderful idea!!! And congratulations to your niece!

Cathy

PS --I'll come to your party if you come to mine!!! See Cancer Benefit posting below.

• ironbelly1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

EXTRAORDINARY GARDENS BY ORDINARY PEOPLE

ISU Polk County Master Gardeners 2004 Garden Tour, June 26

Seven gardens in West Des Moines and Waukee will be the focus of
    "Extraordinary Gardens by Ordinary People," the Polk County Master Gardener
    2004 Garden Tour from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., rain or shine, on Saturday, June 26.

The gardens include a Waukee site that contains more than 300 varieties of
    daylillies and a three-level water garden with waterfalls, goldfish and a
    collection of aquatic plants. In West Des Moines, gardens on view will
    include sites with slope and soil challenges as well as creative solutions
    to everything from keeping rabbits out of vegetable patches to inventive
    ways of garden screening for privacy.

Other featured sites will include:
    A garden that mixes several styles, all chemical-free.
    Unusual shrubs and perennials mixed with native grasses, plus a variety of
    hardy roses, including Buck, Canadian, antique, rugosa and hybrid teas.
    A "mature" backyard garden boasting an arbor-covered spa with mature trumpet
    vines.
    A sun-and-shade garden that blends a conglomeration of gift plants,
    "rescued" plants, and recycled found "treasures," including a brick pond
    patio created out of the remains of an old farmhouse.
    At one garden, three demonstrations, "Living Wreaths," Backyard Birdbaths"
    and "Twig Art." are scheduled.

Tickets, priced at $10, will include a tour map, garden descriptions and
    location directions. They will be available at metro Des Moines Earl May
    stores, metro area Holub stores, Herndons Des Moines Seed & Nursery, Goode
    Greenhouses and the Woodsmith Store.

Proceeds from the tour support Master Gardener activities in Polk County,
    including the Horticulture Helpline, speakers service bureau, Demonstration
    Garden in Urbandale, the new Enabling Garden in Altoona and the Discovery
    Garden at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.

For more information, call the Iowa State University Polk County Extension
    Office, 515-261-4221.

• iowa_jade
    19 years ago

Cathy,

Sorry I didn't see your post until after the fact.

Whoops!

We had fun and raised a few bucks for a good cause.

My sister appreciated my humble efforts.

I have been cancer free myself for about 3 1/2 years with prostate cancer. A friend had his operation a month later than mine and is not having such a good outcome as it is getting into his bones. His doctor wants him to get more radiation treatments. He has refused todate. I kidd him he dosen't have that much hair to loose so whats to worry.

All men over 50 should have a yearly PSA test. Early detection is the key.

Good luck with your walk.

~:)

• lindac
    19 years ago

Project AWAKE 2004 Garden Walk, Newton, Iowa, July 17th 10 AM TO 3 PM and July 18th Noon to 3 PM.
    Tickets are $10 ( $8 in advance), there will be 10 gardens showcased, all proceedes go to AWAKE to be used for tree planting and community gardens.
    Take the east exit off of I-80 in Newton and drive north about 3 miles....past Walmart and through the traffic light to the Newton Arboretu and Botanical Center....the first road on your left.
    You can get directions to the gardens there.
    Or call 641 791 3021 for more info....or email me.
    Linda C

• ironbelly1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

MILLS COUNTY GARDEN WALK

The fifth annual Mills County garden walk has been scheduled for the
    Mineola/Silver City area. Visit some extraordinary gardens and backyard
    ponds at the homes of some Mineola/Silver City area residents. In its fifth
    year, the popular tour will feature six unique gardens and/or backyard ponds.
    The self-guided tour is scheduled for the morning of Saturday, June 26, from
    9 a.m. to Noon. The owners will be on hand at each site to answer your
    questions. All participants will receive a folder filled with information
    on garden topics that will be visible on the tour. The purpose of this tour
    is to provide pertinent information to gardeners and grow ideas one garden
    at a time!
    The cost for the Garden Walk is $5 per person. RESERVATIONS ARE
    REQUIRED. Please contact the Mills County Extension Office at 624-8616 to
    make your reservation or to learn more. The Garden Walk is sponsored by the
    Mills County Master Gardeners & Co-Horts and the Mills County Extension
    Office. The tour will feature the Malvern area in 2005 and the Glenwood
    area in 2006.

• GeeGee_
    19 years ago

Master Gardener's Club
    Invites you to the 8th Annual
    Grinnell Garden Tour
    Saturday June 19,2004
    9:00 a.m - 1:00 p.m.
    (Rain Date) June 26,2004

Purchase tickets 8:30-11:30 at the 4-H Fairgrounds on East St.and receive a map to the gardens open for visitation.Begin your tour by viewing the 8 gardens at the fairgrounds.
    Tickets are $5.00 each
    Children 12 and under are FREE!
    Club members will be available at the gardens to answer questions.

It sounds like fun, I will be going to the one in Victor though.

• Emandden
    19 years ago

Cambridge Main Street Garden Tour
    Cambridge, Illinois
    Sunday, June 27, 2004
    10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
    Rain or Shine
    Tickets $6.00 Each (Kids under 12 are free)
    Proceeds donated to Main Street Program

Seven local gardens and one model home are on the tour

Purchase tickets and pick up map at Shar-Leta's Catering in downtown Cambridge (111 N. Prospect Street)
    Refreshments provided; coffee, drink and homemade cookies.

Lunch is available by reservation at Shar-Leta's

• ironbelly1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm sorry. I gave a little misinformation about the scheduling times for the events at Lowden this Saturday.

Saturday - June 26th
    9am - 4pm

Butterfly Porkchop Lunch
    11am - 2pm

Ken Lafferty will speak at 10:30am - "Low Maintenance Landscaping"

I will be speaking at 1:30pm - "A Different Approach To Landscape Design"

By the way ... Although the gracious folks in Lowden don't know it yet, I will be giving away a number of very nice plants at my presentation. I had a few extra divisions of unusual plants that I feel more people should be growing. I will be sharing those with my audience.

IronBelly

• diannp
    19 years ago

I really want to come to the Lowden garden walk this Saturday. Whether I get to or not may be another matter. A good friend is coming to town for just that day and part of Sunday, so I will try to meet up with her sometime. We also need to be in Kalona between 1 and 2 pm to pick up some fresh free range chickens that aren't ranging no more, except maybe to my freezer... We'll see tho, I'd really like to scoot down the road to see these gardens.

Diann
    IA Z5a

• Miss EFF
    19 years ago

Ironbelly --

Spill the beans --what are you giving away? What do I ABSOLUTELY need to run out and buy right now!?! You always have something that is SOOO cool!

You need to see the painted tongue --looking good this year --Have it in a nice location but I've still lost a lot of it to rain damage.

Our best to Cyndia

Cathy

• iris321
    19 years ago

The Friends of the West Branch Public Library is hosting a garden tour Sun June 27, from 1-5.There are 4 homes &
    the garden of the Bethany Lutheren Church. We were asked to be on the tour, but dclined. I was afraid it would be too stressful & the way the weather has been, I'm way behind.Doris

• uicricket
    19 years ago

Iris, I'm going to miss my first West Branch Garden tour in 3 years. I'm so disappointed! It's even on a Sunday this year which is the best day of the week for me! I'll probably buy tickets anyway because it supports the library which I visit regularly.

• sanfan
    19 years ago

IronBelly,
    Our Garden Club is planning the first garden walk in Evansdale Iowa. You have some great ideas in this thread. I'm sure we will have trial and error. Our group meets on the 15th to start our planning. I'm glad I went back and checked the past threads!

• ironbelly1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sandy,

I'm sure that your club will have a fine event. You folks would have to work really hard to screw-up a garden walk. I think you will witness "trial and error" turning into "trowel and flair". ;-)

IronBelly