Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uicricket

Groundcover for north slope

uicricket
18 years ago

I'm looking for groundcover options for a north slope. Slope begins on the east side almost level and increases to the west side of the yard ending up at about a 45 degree angle. Area is the parkway between sidewalk and street so containment is not really an issue. Neighbor said if groundcover will take over his part of the "hill" all the better (his slope is reverse of ours). West side is mostly shade until very late afternoon. Plants need to be tough because it is on the north side so they get winter abuse and some road salt.

It's awful to mow and weed and I keep thinking I will come home and find DH under the mower. He actually weed whacks 3 weeks and only does a thorough mowing once a month. The area is too narrow to terrace correctly, but we've placed some large rocks and rip-rap in problem areas in hopes of keeping the hill from sliding into the street someday.

I planted yellow archangel (lameastrum?) on the steepest part of the hill last year. How many years do you think it will take to fill in? I bought mixed daylilies to fill in other areas of the steepest part of the slope. Ideas for additional groundcovers would be most appreciated. The deeper they root the better.

Thanks for your ideas everyone. I'm stumped. I look at the hill and my mind is blank.

Cricket

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations