Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mosquito vac

Posted by jacobs 4a ne iowa (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 03 at 13:01

I posted this question on another forum also but since we have an Iowa forum,-- Has anyone had experienc or heard reports how effective the mosquito vacuum is?
They are sold by Sam's Club just under $400 and use propane, scent, and a vacuum to trap mosquitoes.
I know it"s not a "Green" solution but with the West nile virus here it would be better than the alternative.
They are supposed to keep one acre clear and need servic only every 3 weeks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mosquito vac

Haven't heard of them. We give our animal dogs,turkeys, and pigeons a little bit of cider vinegar in their water. Keeps skeeters and gnats from biting them. And with all the rain we're getting. Will have them around this year.

o

Another product I saw advertised for the first time is "Mosquito-B-Gone," which can be sprayed in the yard.

Trish

o

Friend has one that says is really wipes out those mosquito's. Works on same idea as Mosquito Magnet. This is a fairly new product though and is cheaper than the M.M. I'm thinking of getting one myself, the SV-27 is $339 good for 1 acre, free shipping. I just started investigating today, found good site here:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/mosquito_exterminators.asp?CMP=KNC-googleaw

o

I'd be hesitant to buy anything that claims to attract mosquitos with scent--the only thing that draws them is the carbon monoxide that's exhaled when you breathe. They aren't attracted to odors at all. Wish they were--I swear they are hungrier this year than I've ever seen them before--and I grew up in Minnesota, where the mosquito is the unofficial state bird!

o

This first batch of Mosquitos are always the worst. Seems like after this bunch they settle down a bit.. I'm still wearing deet, tho..

Diann
IA Z5a
ps. West Nile has been detected in Linn County again..

o

I purchased a SkeeterVac two years ago. It worked great for one season. It caught more mosquitoes than I could count and we had a pleasant experience in the back yard for that hot Texas summer. But for $300, you would expect the product will work for more than one season. Don't waste your time trying to repair them. Instead, you buy a refurbished unit for half the price and they take your old one. The propane tanks add up because they last 3 weeks. I found this blog because I am looking for one that lasts for years instead of just one season. Before you buy one, make sure to read the reviews.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here