Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowa50126

It just doesn't get any better than this!

iowa50126
18 years ago

Wow!... finally some warm weather!

My cannas are planted. So are my impatiens and other bedding plants. My impatiens, however,are covered with some plastic bird netting to keep the rabbits from having them for lunch. I don't have a dog and the neighbor's dogs are fat and lazy so rabbits have no fear.

I'm mowing/mulching my grass evey 4 days cutting it 3 1/2 inches. I have not fertilzed the lawn this spring as the fall feeding seems to be doing it's job. I've finally rid my yard of most dandelion and creeping charlie ... but my poa annua is producing a bumper crop. At least it's green now. I may use some Milorganite in a week or two...I'm not into the "true organic" lawn religion. I think corn meal is for chickens not grass. (smile)

My euonymus "seems" to be scale free after last Fall's spraying. My mums have been pinched for the first time today. My peonies have tons of buds. My compost pile is cooking tho I'm a little short on browns. I didn't buy any soil ammendments this year as I had lots of my own compost. (after working 3 years to get the pile going)

My pink weigelas are blooming. My daylillies have some buds.

My "trashy" silver maple has finally dropped 99% of it's "helicopter seeds" The squirrels are getting fat eating the seeds. The last rain washed them out of my gutters.

My ash tree that lost most of it's leaves in the last frost is leafing out nicely.

I've got sand and slug bait under my hostas.

It just does not get any better than this !

Pete in Iowa Falls

PS, Of course as a believer in Murphy's Law and a native Iowan ... I will be ever vigilant for "some thing" to go wrong. Iowan's get nervous when there is little to complain about.

Comment (1)