Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It just doesn't get any better than this!

Posted by iowa50126 z5IA (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 05 at 14:35

Wow!... finally some warm weather!

My cannas are planted. So are my impatiens and other bedding plants. My impatiens, however,are covered with some plastic bird netting to keep the rabbits from having them for lunch. I don't have a dog and the neighbor's dogs are fat and lazy so rabbits have no fear.

I'm mowing/mulching my grass evey 4 days cutting it 3 1/2 inches. I have not fertilzed the lawn this spring as the fall feeding seems to be doing it's job. I've finally rid my yard of most dandelion and creeping charlie ... but my poa annua is producing a bumper crop. At least it's green now. I may use some Milorganite in a week or two...I'm not into the "true organic" lawn religion. I think corn meal is for chickens not grass. (smile)

My euonymus "seems" to be scale free after last Fall's spraying. My mums have been pinched for the first time today. My peonies have tons of buds. My compost pile is cooking tho I'm a little short on browns. I didn't buy any soil ammendments this year as I had lots of my own compost. (after working 3 years to get the pile going)

My pink weigelas are blooming. My daylillies have some buds.

My "trashy" silver maple has finally dropped 99% of it's "helicopter seeds" The squirrels are getting fat eating the seeds. The last rain washed them out of my gutters.

My ash tree that lost most of it's leaves in the last frost is leafing out nicely.

I've got sand and slug bait under my hostas.

It just does not get any better than this !

Pete in Iowa Falls

PS, Of course as a believer in Murphy's Law and a native Iowan ... I will be ever vigilant for "some thing" to go wrong. Iowan's get nervous when there is little to complain about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It just doesn't get any better than this!

Wow,
You are super productive! I see warm weather agrees with you.
An aunt passed away 5 weeks ago, and her husband, by 2nd marriage, is pushing the family to get things out of the house. My time is being used helping my cousin.
I wish I could be home babying my yard as much as you!
6 more days of school, and I will have more time to do the yard well!
Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here