Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting for NEXT Memorial Day...

Posted by mysterypoodle Toddville, IA 5a (My Page) on
Sat, May 27, 06 at 22:12

Seems like 7 years ago, I could count on Lilacs and tulips for cemetery decorating. This weekend, the lilacs and tulips were long gone; all I had were iris, some hydrangeas, some bleeding hearts and highbush cranberry foliage. It was pretty, but I obviously need to plant so I'll have some volume in the future.

What did anyone else have? I saw lots of peonies at the cemetery, over by Des Moines. I live near Cedar Rapids and my tree peony and single bush have neither one done anything yet, but the possibility exists that I'm just peony-challenged.

THANKS!

--Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting for NEXT Memorial Day...

The early iris are finished, and the later ones aren't blooming yet. The peonies are blooming, but almost finished - we think they were early this year, for I remember years when we thought they wouldn't make it for Memorial Day, and then at the last minute, they did. I think peonies are the traditional flower because they are the most reliable. Other than that, I have two kinds of allium blooming right now, but not much else.

o

Hello,
My grandma always had iris and peonies for Memorial Day. Both of these were blooming this year, you may need to add some early iris (flags is old fashioned name) to your plant list. I live east of Cedar Rapids.
Good luck,
Jo

o

I'm in zone 4, just a few miles from Hwy 20. This year, according to my journal, I cut on May 27 lupines, chives, salvia 'May Night,' cranesbill geranium 'Johnson's Blue', columbine 'Blue Star' and "William Guinness,' artemesia foliage, verbena clusters, 3 colors of peonies,later dwarf iris, and some later hybrid iris. To be safe, I cut the hybrid iris in bud a few days early and stored them in the basement so they'd still be in their prime for Memorial Day.

This was an unusual year. Some years my peonies aren't yet open for Memorial Day. I also have some Siberian iris which is a little later than my other common iris.

By June 3, I also had blooming small blue allium, campanula Canterbury Bells, yarrow, penstemon 'Husker Red', and dicentra 'Luxuriant' and 'Zestful.' I mention my June 3 blooms because those things might be good timing for your zone on Memorial Day.

I always take fresh flowers to the cemetery for Memorial Day, but I'm definitely a minority. With the wind and heat, my flowers don't last long, but they're a "labor of love" for those I'm remembering. Potted container annuals are another option, and then, if you can pick them up a few days later, you can enjoy them at home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here