Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of mums do I have & what do I do with them?

Posted by moenmitz ia (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 0:38

I bought a few potted mums about a month ago from the grocery store greenhouse. No tags or labels- I don't know if they are hardy or not. This was end of May, first part of June and they were in full bloom. I immediately planted them in a nice sunny spot, Good soil, lots of compost. Within a week or two the blooms all turned brown. The leaves look nice and green and bushy still. So, my question is- could these be hardy mums? ( I am in zone 4) Will they bloom again this fall? And what should I do with them now? Cut them back? leave them alone? Throw them in the compost heap? I appreciate your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of mums do I have & what do I do with them?

I think most mums that they sell around here are hardy. They have been forced to bloom early to be in the store. When I've planted them, the blooms turn brown and I shear them off. If they are hardy, they will stay green all summer and come back next year and bloom.

o
RE: what kind of mums do I have & what do I do with them?

ok, Thank you! Should I cut back the whole plant, or just the blooms? Will it bloom again this fall do you think?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here