Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for old bird cage

Posted by elphinstone Zone 4, Iowa (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 8:45

Hi,
I have an old round bird cage and would like to put some sort of plant that will vine over and around it. I'll be hanging it in a tree so it must be shade tolerant. I sure would like some fresh ideas, everything I've considered seems like I've seen dozens of already. I'm not on a strict budget but can not afford really expensive plants. Do you think a Loves-Lies-Bleeding would work? That is my currant thought. I'm not sure the cage would hold enough soil to support this rather large plant. But it sure could look neat.
Has anyone had any experience with the plants that are planted in an upside down planter?
Thanks,
Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for old bird cage

Hi there!

I'm sorry I don't have any real suggestions. I had to look up the Loves Lies Bleeding plant to see what it looks like! You must be going for something a little exotic, eh? Beautiful plant, but the page I saw on it said it liked full sun. Not sure that would work in the area you are planning to put it.

Have you already come up with a solution? If nothing else, an annual like sweet alyssum would look, er, sweet coming out between the bars.

o
RE: Need ideas for old bird cage

Bird's Nest fern??

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture & Description

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here