Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worst Case Scenario

Posted by tannabanana 5a IA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 9:53

Well, I posted a few months ago about getting our back yard hardscaped and that my veggie garden and perennials would have to wait until that was finished. Well, it's done! But they didn't finish until last week. My veggies were planted this weekend so hopefully I can get some squash, beans, and tomatos out of it this year. (oh, and I planted corn for the first time!). I would have liked to have this part done by at least the 1st of June but I guess that's how the landscaping company's schedule worked out with all the rain and their other projects (they were a class act by the way!)

Anyway, we brought in a bunch of soil amendment (compost, peat moss, & manure) and spread it around the backyard. We are still going to be getting sod this summer. We are running into a little problem though. Our soil is mostly clay and it has had a heavy Bobcat running over it for a couple of weeks off and on. Needless to say, it is really hard for the rototiller to till any of the nice amendment in! What are your thoughts? What is the best way to incorporate the amendment into our soil? Hopefully, these light rains will have softened up the soil enough that we can get the rototiller to work and not too wet as to make a big mess.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worst Case Scenario

Yea! We got it mostly tilled in. Not a perfect job but I think it will really help. On to planting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here