Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreens

Posted by lizzy5225 z4 IA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 6, 06 at 14:57

I planted black hills evergreens 3 years ago and have had no trouble with browning until this year. One tree is completely brown except for the bottom 2 branches that are very green. What could be the problem. I have already fed with granules this spring.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreens

• Posted by jspece Josh - z4 IA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 6, 06 at 16:14

I think our extremely mild January is responsible for a lot of the odd winter kill we are seeing in some of the woody plants. They started to switch into growth mode when it was so warm, but it turned cold again in February...freeze/thaw like that can be disasterous for plants.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your tree is a goner. Unless you see new growth on the brown branches, it will never recover. Conifers can not regrow from a brown, dead branch.

o

Does that mean that on a tree that has one brown branch, the rest will die? If not, should I cut that branch?
Thank you for your help!

o

• Posted by jspece Josh - z4 IA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 13:27

A single (or few) brown branches are not life threatening to a good sized tree. I would wait a few more weeks to see if the branch puts out any new growth on the tips. If it does, leave it. If the branch is dead, you can remove it. In time, the bare hole should fill in with surrounding branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here