Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uicricket

Rain - are you getting any?

uicricket
18 years ago

I live in an arid microclimate - the rain goes north, the rain goes south, the rain goes east and west. But no rain at my house. It gets cloudy, dark and temps drop and the clouds just move on.

Just venting. If you're getting rain lucky you - I'm just jealous.

Cricket

Comments (31)

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

Cricket

I had 2.25 inches in my rain guage last WED (6/8) here in Iowa Falls. And we had a enough last night, from a small cloud, to wet my deck and settle the dust.

By the looks of the KCCI weather radar web page we may get wet later tonight. There's a big red blob on the radar just between Ft Dodge and I-35 and it looks like its heading our way...

I washed my car today ... so our chances are probably better that 50% because of that...(smile)

Pete

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

We got littl rain Friday night. But was able to till garden sat -so not enough. Got soaker hoses out. And mulched veggy garden yesterday with 3rd cutting. alfa

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

Its been raining most of the days of June here. Is it a yearly arid microclimate?

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

I got some...

The cold front moved thru Iowa Falls tonite and I had about 2 tenths in my Brookstone rain guage.

BTW... the last time someone asked me "are you geting any?" it wasn't about rain (Blush)

• hawki
    18 years ago

Well, Cricket, same old story last night for Iowa City; storms head right towards us, and turn north or dissolve as they get here... we've averaged 1.5" of rain a month this year, while just west of us, everybody is flooded. I watched the WGN weather last night and finally found out why: we have been sitting right under the center of a persistent, powerful, north-bound jet stream, so as storms move east, they usually turn north before they get here, as they hit the edge of the jet stream, and ride it... the few that reach us are torn apart by the main body of the jet stream. It's irritating when the local meteorologists keep telling you there is an 80% chance of rain, and nada.They should watch WGN.

• garasaki
    18 years ago

We having been missing all the rain too (Lisbon, bout 10 miles east of CR). It's been raining for a while in IC (where I work) but the missus tells me its still dry at home. Although we did get some overnight...

It's been a very hard year to even grow new grass!

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

I had a inch of rain in my rain guage this morning from the thunderstorm that passed over last night.(6/20)

Not bad considering the forecast was for a 30% chance of precipitation.

Time to put gas in the mower....

Pete in Iowa Falls

• charlene_in_iowa
    18 years ago

I was just coming ask others in IA to help me with a rain dance :)
    We have had SO LITTLE. I am afraid for my H2O bill because I have to daily water the flowers :(.

• charlene_in_iowa
    18 years ago

Sorry I am in Clinton. Bout the only good thing is that the humidity is low.

• iowa_jade
    18 years ago

Nope! At least we are on the Mud-a sippi here in Davenport. Several towns; North Liberty, Port Byron (just dry?) & West Branch (new tower) are on warning status.

I may have to take out a loan to pay my water bill.

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

It's been raining in Iowa Falls for the past hour. The KCCI school weather site says we have received about 1/3 of an inch.

My Rain guage says about 1/4 inch

The radar was clear at 4:30pm, so I gave some of my annuals in pots a second drink of H20...30 minutes later it was pouring rain with thunder...

Life's not fair ...is it?..

Pete in Iowa Falls

• hawki
    18 years ago

The area from Iowa City, east to Peoria is one of the driest in the country in terms of rain deficit... we're down 9 inches from normal, and all the rain tonight looks to be going north of us. Apparently this is the driest March-June since the dust bowl of 1934-5.

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

Monsoon update in Hardin county....

As of noon today (6/25), I had 2.8 inches of rain in my rain guage for the past 12 hours. It really rained hard here around 2 AM! My gutters over flowed on the west side of my house...I forgot to clean out the "heliocopter" seeds from my silver maple.

Pete in Iowa Falls

• Maude_IA
    18 years ago

In a word --- No. None. Not a drop. Nary a trace. Uh-uh.

Plants are wilting daily, the grass in sunny places is burned brown and crispy. Looks like August around here.

Send some south to Washington, please.

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

I had another inch + of rain in my rain guage this morning (6/26)

Pete in Iowa Falls...(ducking)

• marilou
    18 years ago

We got two inches yesterday (Saturday) in Ames, but we've had an ususual rain pattern here, also. Several times lately it has poured in one part of town while another stays dry as a bone!

We really did need the rain--the grass was going dormant and some of my plants don't know what hit them with these sudden high temps! For once, I lucked out. I just put a xeriscape bed in last fall (I got tired of lugging the hose around the yard) and had been collecting rainwater just for the fun of it. No high water bill here!

Move over, Pete. I'm ducking, too! ;o)

• koszta_kid
    18 years ago

Got inch last night. but will say a prayer for gardening friends who got none.I know how it had gone all around us in the past. But water bill will be high. Going to buy more mulch. Mile east of us got 1/2 inch. Bought soaker hoses a year end sale. They work better.

• dbirkey_IA
    18 years ago

Wow, will it ever stop now? 9+ inches in a 48 hour period & more coming today. Came home from Indiana yesterday (yes, it's dry in the SE part of IA) to water coming up the drains from the storm sewers. Thank goodness DW didn't go with me. My son & she kept it at bay with a sump pump. The city of Manson had a bust with their "Greater Crater Days" celebration. A similar bust with the Beach Boys Concert in Ft Dodge with some musical equipment damaged beyond repair. I'd gladly share some moisture with our South easterly neighbors. Too much at one time!
    Dave in Pomeroy

• uicricket
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Everybody! We FINALLY got some rain last night. Not a lot, but some is much better than none. We need a nice, steady shower for about 3 days.

Dave in Pomeroy - my grandparents live in Palmer (and one in E-burg) and go to the Knight's Inn every Sunday after church. I was just up there Memorial Day weekend for a visit. The farmers were talking about having trouble getting crops in because of the rain. Too bad about Manson's festival getting rained out. Love to visit up there - always have a good time.

Cricket

• dbirkey_IA
    18 years ago

Cricket,
    Glad to hear about the rain. Just looking at the Super Doppler & it looks like more may be coming your way. The weather systems seem to be moving directly east now. Hope you get it. Took a drive to Manson last night. Pretty much of their entire golf course is still under water. There were people with 4-5' of water in their basements. A lot of carpet & ruined furniture is now setting by the curb. A few in Pomeroy had some also. I lucked out thank goodness. Nice to hear of the local connection. I probably know the Palmer grandparents.
    Dave

• charlene_in_iowa
    18 years ago

We rec'd a little over the weekend. Large drops too, must have lasted 5-10 mins. Sorry I don't know the actual's but I can say wasn't much at all. It was hard and fast enough the gutters couldn't keep up so the water was overflowing. I was running around putting buckets under them to catch that free water :)
    Neighbors must really think I'm crazy after that.

• Maude_IA
    18 years ago

FINALLY we had several nice, 10 minute showers this AM - don't know how much, but it came regularly between 6 am and 8 am so it soaked in.
    Charlene, you're no crazier than we were - in the midst of the rain, taking hanging baskets and pots from the porch out to the yard to get some non-tap water.

Our water barrel is full, but it's only 30 gallons.

• marilou
    18 years ago

I've heard that the Ft. Dodge area got a deluge. Wasn't it about a year ago that Bradgate got hit with the tornado? Now there are flood watches from Ft. Dodge south--lots of free water for those folks.

Dave in Pomeroy--I guess the Beach Boys' days of playing on beaches are over, eh? ;o)

• dbirkey_IA
    18 years ago

I'm sure Ft Dodge did get deluged, but don't know the amount they got. Yep, It's about a year now for Bradgate

The Beach Boys setup was placed ironically 15' from the waters edge in Olson Park. If I heard right, some of the stage setup that supported their equipment got flooded & fell over in addition to everything getting soaked. They kept saying that night that they were still going to do the concert till about 10:30 when they started getting the storm warnings.

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

Wed (6/29) Storm report

Iowa Falls got another 1/2 inch of rain tonight.

My silver maple lost 3 large limbs from the storm's high wind. The falling limbs missed the power line for my house by inches.

Pete in Iowa Falls

• dbirkey_IA
    18 years ago

Pete,
    Sorry to hear about that. You had to be right in the middle of that front. It got pretty windy in Pomeroy, but we missed the rest of it, thank goodness. My garden is finally starting to dry out from being flooded last weekend.

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

It was a little tricky getting the Maple tree branch off my roof near the overhead powerline.. the branch was about a foot from the line... I don't like being near any power line.

My neighbor has a large walnut tree between the sidewalk and the street that lost a very large branch last night. may back yard was down wind from that tree during the storm and I found several golf ball size green walnuts in my back yard this morning. About 30 ft away!

Murphy's Law was in place this morning ... as the neighbor who lost the walnut limb had his tree limbs picked up by the city street dept as it fell in the street. It took a big bucket loader to get that limb into the city dump truck.

The city crew waved and smiled at me as I was sawing up my Maple limbs. But, they would not take my debris as it fell on my house and yard. If I had been up earlier I should have dragged my limbs out into the street near the neighbors limbs. (smirk)

Since tree limbs can not go into the Hardin County land fill...disposal is always a problem. I know a lot of tree limbs will find their way to local farm burn piles.

My neighbor who benefited from the city's street crew clening up his mess for free is a great neighbor...but he could care less about his lawn. Its more weed than grass. I'm the lawn wacko on my street and I'm the one stuck with tree cleanup and disposal at my expense ... Murphy's Law. (smile)

Pete in Iowa Falls

• ginni77
    18 years ago

In my microclimate (I'm in Illinois, across the river from Davenport) we've had 1/10" in the past 3-4 weeks. I'm going to have to stop growing roses, dayliies and hostas and get into xeriscape plants...we have city water and it's not cheap! We have a no-burn mandate right now (as if they have to tell us!!!) and the lawns look terrible. I've lost some new roses to this heat, even with watering a lot.

We were up at Okoboji over Father's Day weekend and we had the nicest rain. I guess I have to travel to see what a nice soaking rain is like. All we get here at home are dark skies, 30-40% chances and parting clouds and weather fronts. I couldn't believe that Cedar Rapids was under a flood warning and we're in the Sahara! We're 1.5 hours from CR and it looks like half an inch on the weather map!

Oh well, there's an old saying...."everyone's complaining about the weather and no one can do anything about it" It's still true! hahaha

Ginni

• iris321
    18 years ago

Well,we had a trace of rain Sun. &
    3/4 in. yesterday.near West Branch.I hope some of the rest of you fared as well or better.Doris

• uicricket
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Got a nice shower on Sunday and again all Monday morning. Stopped drizzling 1/2 way through the parade in Tipton. On the bright side we got RAIN and the dogs we walked in the parade for the animal shelter stayed nice and cool.

I thought the weather was perfect for the holiday. Rain and Sun. Can't ask for more than that.

Cricket

• iowgardenangel
    18 years ago

well Tipton isnt doin any better hope my well dont run dry LOL oh my, i have to keep watering or id loose my new gardens and my peach tree was droppin some leaves so i had to water it thats dwarf really bears good peaches...and even if few items look alittle ragged they come bk next yr lookin good, so i just keep watern and sayin every year is different here good ol IOWA LOL !!!! Dessa

Sponsored