Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crepe myrtles in Iowa

Posted by markluvskathy 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 04 at 17:27

I received a catalog in the mail that has arctic crepe myrtles in it. Does anyone in Iowa have an arctic crepe myrtle? I would love to have one, but I am unsure if they are "for real" Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crepe myrtles in Iowa

I have not grown them, but I found a website that claims to have plants which can be grown in all 50 states.

Do they have a name listed for the plant?

Mary Beth
Amana, IA

Here is a link that might be useful: crapemyrles.com

o
RE: crepe myrtles in Iowa

Notice the web site says they can be grown in northern states and Canada in pots that can be taken inside in the winter.Supposedly the hardiest crape myrtle, which as I recall is Hopi, is hardy to -15, maybe. I've seen it claimed that you can grow Hopi as a die-back to the ground shrub. Years ago I planted a couple when I gardened in Cedar Falls, and one of them did indeed come back from the roots for one year, getting maybe two feet tall, then disappeared. We just got back from Little Rock, and the crape myrtles were all in full bloom; it did make me ponder trying them again, but I'll pass... having a two foot tall crape myrtle doesn't do much for me.
Don

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here