Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's blooming?

Posted by sirmatthew 4 - Iowa (mfhawn@mchsi.com) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 20:07

What an ODD year! Spring was very strange in NW IA. It's June 14, and I have a sprinkling of Iris blooming. My peonies are either close to opening, if they are in a sheltered spot, while others are either not going to bloom or they have rather small sized buds. I know it was REALLY dry here, and I did have a few peonies die off, along with a ton of tulips and daffs, I am on a well, and with the reports of wells drying, I stopped watering in August. Just wondering how everyone else is faring around the state.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's blooming?

This area,south east Iowa had severe drought last year. This year in April & May we got more than enough rainfall to make up for it.Had lots of flooding in Cedar Rapids & Iowa City & other spots.In my particular area we could use an inch or so of rain. Heavy precip
tends to skip us,but so does bad storms(knock wood)..Makes me uneasy & hoping this lack of rain isn't going to be the trend.
My iris & peonies were about 10 days later. Peonies were gorgeous because it was cool & we didn't happen to get a hard rain to spoil them.Tulips & daffodils & hyacinths were really nice.Oh,and the lilacs were more beautiful than I've ever seen them.
The daylilies,which I have lots of,are very lush & loaded with scapes.In fact they are so lush that for the first time I have some aphid on them. Grrr.

Rose

o
RE: What's blooming?

Rose, what's the name of that peony? (I'm trying to identify similar looking one).

NE IA. Everything is late this year. Peonies were good, just finished, I have 1 flower left. All bloomed. I had other plants that died though. Roses (I have 2) just done blooming, and now daylilies are starting!
So far so good in regards to rain. I didn't have to water anything this year yet :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here