Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification of plant/weed

Posted by winifred IA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 3, 06 at 20:43

Hello out there, I am fairly new to this whole gardening thing and would love some help with two plants that have appeared in my flower beds that I am not sure if they are actually flowers that I don't recall planting, and/or weeds that I need to get out of there.

I am going to try and post the pictures on my personal page here on this website, hopefully they will show up.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification of plant/weed

Not sure how to add link, if anyone can help in that regard, I have photos, just not sure how to load them.

o

Hi there!

I put a link below from GW that should explain how to upload pictures. I use Photobucket to host my pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: posting pics on GardenWeb

o
More in-depth info

Ooops! That link doesn't give very good info (if any). Try this one.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: real info on posting

o
Pictures of possible plant/weeds that need id

Maybe these will help in my search of whether I should pull or leave alone. Thanks Tannabanana, that photobucket works very well. If you need more pictures, let me know, these plants are just outside my office window in my bed and I can reach my webcam out the window and snap a few more if needed. Any help is appreciated.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/wecabc/smallplant.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/wecabc/picture2bigplant.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/wecabc/MyPicture012.jpg

o

Here are a few more photos and a better link then before. Again any help would be appreciated, if possible. Thanks to all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants that need ID

o

I hope you get an answer soon! I had a VERY similar looking plant come up from some echincea seeds I had planted (they were from a packet that I got at a local garden center). It obviously was nothing like the others so I let it die - I wonder if it would have been something fantastic? Or just a weed like my husband suggested ;)?

o

It looks like a spider flower to me(Cleome).The flower is cool and I would keep it. They will reseed their selfs. Check this pic out and see if that is it.
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening/garden/visuals/clehaa2h.jpg

o

Were these there at all in the early spring? How tall are they getting? Hellbores overwinter. The foliage doesn't appear to have enough substance to be a hellebore. They really do look like cleome. Its a cool flower. they get 3-4 ft tall. I bought plants of it for my garden. I hope it reseeds for next year.
Maria

o

Hey, this just might be the cleome that two of you said it looked like. I don't actually recall planting any cleome, but yes they are pretty and they do stink and have the prickly spines as described by some other websites on the cleome. When do they shoot up the stalks that hold the flowers? All I have is what would be the base. Thanks for all your help.

o

It will be a few weeks yet for blooms. You might have had some seed blow in from a neighbor, or even a bird. They are a neat plant. I hope that's what you have.

o

Yikes at first glance I thought it was marijuana! I am not sure what it is!

o

Thanks to everyone who helped. I am definitely sure that these plants are the Cleoms as I got my first flower bloom over the past two days. Will take more pictures later this week and post them for all to see once they are all in bloom. Thanks again. I have learned so much just from reading the posts on this site as well as going to the many sites/research areas listed by all of those interested in the same thing, gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here