Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilou_gw

What will you be doing in your yard today?

marilou
18 years ago

Without the "busy-ness" of spring and fall yardwork, what kinds of things do you find to do outside at this time of year?

Comments (4)

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

I watered my flowers in pots and the impatiens in the flower beds this morning. I got my July water bill today and it was twice what I usually pay...so I hope Aug provides a little rain. I only watered the yard once in July. But the city has raised the rates since last year...so "less is more".

I mowed late yesterday so that's done.

I planted some New Guinea Impatiens I bought on sale at Wal*Mart for 50c each to replace some of last fall's pansies. The pansies were still alive but had stopped blooming.

And to show you how dull things are in Iowa Falls...I pulled some crab grass shoots from my flower beds, from next to my sidewalks...drive & curb. I don't have much crab grass...tho the neighborhood is covered with CG right now. But given the lush crop of CG in the area ...I might have to use some pre-emergent CG herbicide next Spring as I'm sure I'll get my fair share of the wind blown CG seeds later this month.

Pete in Iowa Falls

• Maude_IA
    18 years ago

We did some deadheading on snapdragons and heliotrope, and pulled some grass out of the garden. Last week's rain inspired all sorts of weed seeds to wake up and grow.

Cultivating and feeding roses.

Also collected some larkspur seeds to swap at Tipton next month, and some dill in case there is someone who wants dill seed. I'm going to collect the sweet pea seeds, too, but don't know what to expect as I've never grow them before.

Spot watering those plants that remain droopy after the sun sets, and also the pots.

DH transported the 40th squirrel out to the park. They chew on the house - otherwise we like them, but they are damaging trim pieces that can't be replaced except by handmade copies (the house is too old), so the squirrels are the ones who must go.

• marilou
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Pete, from today's weather map I'm guessing you might be saving on your water bill already! We have had about an inch of rain here in Ames so far and it's still coming down. I'm glad I worked outside all day yesterday as I had no idea rain was in the forecast. (Wonder if the weather forecasters did?!?)

Pulling crabgrass is time well spent. In Master Gardener class, I learned that just one crabgrass plant produces a million seeds or more!

• garasaki
    18 years ago

I spend a lot of time outdoors watering roses, trees, and potted plants (that's all I have right now!).

I also spend a lot of time caring for roses, dead-heading and picking off bad leaves. I'm also trying to propogate said roses, as well as any other worthwhile plant in my yard.

Also out and about looking for additions to the landscape, as there are some good deals out there this time of year!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County