Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Pests are you battling?

Posted by whatcheer z4 Ia (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 05 at 10:39

I havent seen such a year! I started out with rabbits, now insects. So far Ive had to dig my irises because of the dreaded iris borer. ( Im going to use more sanitation methods this fall!) My annuals have been hit by a beetle. They go into the stems and cause havoc.
My poor poor Lupines. That stupid earwig made its way into the stems. I cut them all back. I sprayed the area, and so far I have healthy new growth. It wont be long before the farm fields around me will be sprayed. Thats a whole new problem. Last year I was bomb barded by all sorts of pests with in hours of aerial spraying. All I can do is take a deep breath and go to work cleaning out the infected areas. I burned all my cutting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Pests are you battling?

1. Laziness and lack of imagination

2. (Calamity) Jane - new dog - digger of big holes and stealer/hider of garden tools, plastic pots, gloves, garden stakes, remover of wallpaper ... Gotta lover her!

3. Thistles! - they're everywhere this year! Worse than the dandelions.

4. Grasshoppers - looks like it's going to be a very bad year for them

OK, enough whining from me.

Cricket

o

Oh I forgot about those grasshoppers. I have them also. And I have to agree about the thistles. Where did they come from?

o

EARWIGS!!!!

Does anyone have a good recipe for trapping them? The soy sauce + oil isn't really working, the cat food + dish soap isn't even attracting cats. The bugs are everywhere, and I'm tired of having them fall on me when I open the back door. Then they play all innocent and scurry around looking for a place to hide. Aack-y things.

And yes, there are thistles in new places, and I lost a third of my tomato plants to wilt, too.

o

I have a bug that has ruined most of
my phlox. It is called phlox bug. I
am not diligent enough when it comes to dusting & spraying.My poor roses!
I haven't seen any earwigs,but hub said 1 was in the kitchen.Then we have a bug that is only attracted by the blooms of the Linden tree.It's pesty.Doesn't bite or eat anything,
likes to crawl into neck of T shirt.
I hope we don't get grasshoppers. They are bad in drought. One year I
would catch them in a jar & dispose of them. They liked my big Zinnias &
just about everything else.I have never seen the striped cucumber bugs so bad.We aren't going to have any cukes.They eat a lot of my flowers too.I even have aphids on my water lilies!! Doris

o

For the beetle I have notseen any here but been puttingsuet back out TO attract startling.And hear I cuss then when they take over the feeders, But only know bird to Japanese beetle. Got many toads and snakes to eat other bugs.

o

Rabbits + Rabbits = Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits...

And... chipmunks!! Even the mosquitoes aren't as bad as the rabbits and chipmunks.

o

Japanese beetles!

Ginni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here