Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Des Moines Bucket Dirt

Posted by ourunique 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 10:52

Does anyone know where in the Des Moines area someone can buy dirt by the bucket load? If there are any Des Moines Gardeners on this forum, where do you purchase your Straw? I bought some from Earl May the other day, $8 a bale, I was just wondering if there was another local place to buy straw cheaper?

Thank you.
Donna

(First Post)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Des Moines Bucket Dirt

Check Craigslist for people selling both dirt and hay. I did a quick browse in the Des Moines area Farm/Garden section and I saw a couple of people selling straw.

o

Not sure of the price but the Des Moine Feed & Garden store sells bales. They are at 2019 Hubbell Ave. # is 262-0154.

o

Yah, I try to not encourage the high $$ straw people. Those prices are ridiculous. Market auction is $4/bale - the farmer isn't getting those prices!

You can look for riding stables in the yellow pages and ask 'em where they get it.

I found a local feed store/granary selling straw for $5.00 but usually buy it at $4.00 from a local greenhouse. Call around - how does that go? Let your fingers do the walking?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here