Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattico_gw

Tomatoes....what causes .....

pattico_gw
19 years ago

I think it is "blossom end rott"...

I have several plants in my garden...but I had a few plants left over and dropped them in a large container. the container garden had 6 tomatoes on it. One was nice and red , not real big....but big enough that I couldn't wait...I picked it today....and the bottom was missing and all black.

What causes that and how do I stop it?

Or can I.

patti

Comments (5)

• Baumer
    19 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the cause. But when I don't mulch my tomatoes -this happens. Something about rain hitting soil and bouncing back on the fruit.

• Emandden
    19 years ago

I've noticed this happens when we have a dry spell followed by rain. I agree that the mulch helps considerably with this. Maybe it is a soil borne organism like Baumer suggests, I never thought of that...I thought the mulch was helping conserve moisture.

• diannp
    19 years ago

Blossom end rot is caused by a deficency of calcium in the soil... Here's a link that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about it. ;)

Diann
    IA Z5a

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom end rot

• buttercupia
    19 years ago

It can also be caused by uneven watering of the plant, and is sometimes a problem in container grown plants, but it is more common on the first tomatoes the plant produces, the later ones should be ok unless there is a real calcium deficiency or water problem.

• lindac
    19 years ago

The CAUSE of Blossom End Rot is calcium deficiency....but that deficiency is most often caused by insufficient water or fluctuations in soil moisture. Potted tomatoes are very suceptable.
    Linda C