Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowa50126

How are you coping with the HEAT wave?

iowa50126
18 years ago

I rarely complain about hot weather as I seem to deal with it better than winter.

We've been lucky here in Iowa Falls, it rained this week (1.75"). I've only watered the lawn once on the 14th. My grass is still pretty green...tho some of the new grass seed I planted this spring in some bare spots has croaked and gone to turf heaven. I'm pulling crabgrass along the curb and my sidewalks. And this week I only mowed my shady back yard...not the sunny parts.

My flower beds need water every 2 days and the pots almost every day...but I try to not waste any water. My impatiens are loving the heat and are growing like crazy...my hostas however are stressed out. The pansies I planted last fall are still alive in a full sun bed. And a couple of the daylillies I planted this spring as bulbs have bloomed this week. My cannas are new and only about 2 ft so far. My wave petunias are spreading all over and the sweet potato vine I planted for the first time...is like a plant in a 1950s SciFi Movie...it grows a foot each night :-)

My only complaint is that the coolest time of the day to be out doors is when the skeeters are looking to suck every drop of blood out of my body. And the cutters with deet only lasts a short time.

So, I'm doing OK with the heat. But I know many others find it a real problem.

So, How are you coping with the heat wave?

Pete in Iowa Falls

Comments (3)