Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbrb1

Wintering Purple Fountain Grass

dbrb1
19 years ago

I love Purple Fountain Grass in Containers but find it expensive to buy. I was wondering if any of you dig it up and save it thru the winter. I'd appreciate any help here.

Thanks,

Don

Comments (11)

• lilycrazy
    19 years ago

Don- does it go to seed ?? I bought some at Earl May one year and they recommended collecting the seeds for the next spring.... might be worth a try ??

• michelle_zone4
    19 years ago

I don't have the answer, but have collected seed and will try wintersowing it.

• Iowagal
    19 years ago

The seed will produce green fountain grass, not purple. Maybe you'll get a couple purple grasses here and there, but as a whole, you'll get green. I'm going to try wintering mine indoors for the first time this winter. Mine went dormant, or died, one or the other, this July. Probably thought it was time since the weather was so cold.

• Baumer
    19 years ago

I'm going to winter mine over in my unheated garage. Friend been doing that for past couple years. Will mist every once and while. Going to put pot in cooler so if mice get in garage wouldn't have mid winter snack.

• iowa_jade
    19 years ago

I was told to take a chunk of the root system and repot same into a 4" pot or so. Cut the top off and it should overwinter with my other stuff that is not hardy to our area.

• leah_zone5
    19 years ago

I live in northeast Missouri and I over wintered my purple fountain grass indoors last year. It turned greenish in the lower light, but purpled up when I planted it out in thespring. It was pretty easy to overwinter. I even had it in a east window. Leah

• lindy47
    19 years ago

I overwintered mine in the basement last yr. It was slow in the spring compared to greenhouse specimens but caught up. I didn't cut back in the fall but I will this yr. I cut out the dried stems that didn't come back. Watered about once a month.

• Iowagal
    18 years ago

So, how did everybody come out with this? My one attempt didn't make it. I'd like to try again. Any new advice?

• iris321
    18 years ago

I've been succesful at this for 2 winters,but I do have a cool greenhouse. I use a lot of it in big container plantings. I wait until after a light frost & plant several clumps to a container. These are hernia specials LOL I pot some in smaller pots,too. ! I like to leave them out as long as I dare,so they get acclimated to their winter pots.They can take a little frost.
    I like to think some of the bugs get killed by the cold! Before a hard frost ,they are brought in & trimmed.
    Watering is tricky! Too much & the roots rot.I've done it! I like to have a small plant ,weed,petunia ,in the pot. When it starts to wilt,I water.Last year I didn't lose any & I had several.In the spring when they start to actively grow,I divide & plant into 4 1/2 or 6" pots.Even if I didn't have the geenhouse, I would still try to save them. Doris

• marilou
    18 years ago

Purple fountain grass *is* expensive and never seems to go on sale. What great ideas! I don't know how Stan found that link, but it's very helpful. Then throw in tips from Doris and others and together it sounds like just the ticket! Thanks, everyone!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County