Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uicricket

Rochester Cemetery

uicricket
17 years ago

Is any one else following the Rochester Cemetery controversy regarding the wildflowers? It's made interesting reading in the paper and it's being talked about on the UofI Native Plants Listserve.

Cricket

Comment (1)

• ironbelly1
    17 years ago

Which paper are you talking about, Cricket? I know that there will be an article appearing in today's Quad City Times concerning this issue -- one that I have been following quite closely.

I grew up only a few miles east of there. It is sad to see that some of the locals have no idea that they are living in the midst of one of this nationÂs treasures. My wife and I have visited this site on several occasions this year and always come home invigorated. There is just so much to see; much of which you will not see anywhere else. Of course, it is famous for shooting stars in the spring. I have read that nowhere else in the world will you find shooting stars amassed in those numbers. I certainly know of no other.

I really liked the letter that trustee Bob Thumma wrote to the Tipton Conservative Newspaper. I think he was able to dispel many of the half-truths and misconceptions being bandied-about by a vocal few. Curiously, this type of brew-ha bubbles to the surface every twenty years or so  this also just happens to be about the same time period required for another generation to emerge. Mr. Thumma so eloquently pointed out that although differing opinions exist, there are no "sides". He maintains that all the folks in the Rochester area are  and will remain  friends; even though some hold different opinions.

Actually, prior to these events, I have spent a great deal of time researching the topic of growing native prairie plants and retaining social acceptability while doing so. If any of you recall some of my past postings on rain gardens which utilize native plants; you can see why I developed this interest. As with so much in life, it often isnÂt as important what you do as it is how you do it. I am sensitive to the concerns of my neighbors and didnÂt want them complaining about "that weed patch next door". Through careful study and planning, I have been able to design and incorporate a home landscape that relies heavily upon native plants AND meets the approval (and interest) of the neighbors.

Actually, this topic, although mostly unknown, has been pretty thoroughly researched and documented by Dr. Joan Nassauer. She makes a point of including culture into landscape (in the largest sense of the word) aesthetic considerations. As she so keenly notes: "Nearly all landscapes are judged and enjoyed according to the degree that they clearly exhibit care." I submit that the problem is not at all what people are saying. They are not really objecting to native plants per say but rather are subconsciously objecting to a perceived appearance of neglect.

Of course, the trustees (and the native plant enthusiasts who have spent hours pulling garlic mustard) know that neglect is far removed from the actual truth. Their actions have been deliberate, thoughtful and wise. They have thus far been able to maintain a wonderful, truly native prairie acreage that stands as a legacy to our forefathers. ...

Sponsored