Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilou_gw

Dwarf conifers, anyone?

marilou
18 years ago

Is anyone interested in dwarf conifers? What are your favorites? What results have you had? Where do you find them?

Comments (10)

• jspece
    18 years ago

Yes, I am a budding conifer collector. Not sure where you are located, but Oelwein, Iowa is home to one of the most amazing collections of dwarf conifers you can imagine...all on a small city lot. Actually, check out the October issue of Garden Gate Magazine for a brief glimpse of Gary and Tom's garden.

The Hospice Garden here in Independence also has a nice display...though, I have not seen it.

Gary has been a great mentor for me, but I must not be a very good student. Not to discourage you, but I've probably killed nearly as many conifers as I've kept alive. I've had good luck with a few Larches, a couple Pines, Arborvitaes, Firs, and Junipers. Actually, those should all be pretty easy. Those pretty Chamaecyparus are tough in our climate. Gary has a whole garden full of them, though, so if you have the right microclimate you may do fine with them.

We have a couple conifer nurseries in the area...

Dyllon Plant Company is near Marshaltown.

Hermson Nursery is near Farly.

You will also find a basic sellection at the larger general nurseries. I've seen them at both Peck's in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Landscaping in IC.

• marilou
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jspece, thanks for your reply! I have that issue of Garden Gate and the photos of their gardens are striking. Wonder where they find their dwarfs?

I'm in central Iowa. Where did you find your Chamaecyparis? I've been looking for Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Golden Mop'.

Time to get out my map and think about taking a road trip. :D

• jspece
    18 years ago

The GG article does not show a fraction of the conifer collection. Gary travels all over the Midwest to conifer society functions...he just finished his term as president...so he gets plants everywhere.

The few Chamy's I've tried...and killed...were gifts from Gary. But, like I said, if you go to the bigger nurseries, you should be able to find some. The more unusual ones around here are usually in 4" pots.

If you type the plant you are looking for into google, you'll find mailorder sources.

If you are just starting out, I would highly recommend visiting the two conifer nurseries I mentioned above. They grow plants that are hardy in Iowa, plus they both have excellent display gardens.

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Indeed, Gary and his garden are both truely amazing. The threadleaf forms of Chamaecyparis (like Golden Mops) are very hardy in zone 4a, in full sun or part shade. I am just west of Minneapolis. The feathery foliage types(like Snow) are iffy unless sited correctly, and the squarrosa forms can be either very hardy or not so.

I have been growing dwarfs (and regular) conifers for almost 25 years, and have many hardy representatives of these genera:
    Abies-Fir
    Chamaecyparis-False Cypress
    Juniperus-Juniper
    Larix-Larch
    Picea-Spruce
    Pinus-Pine
    Thuja-Arborvitae

• jspece
    18 years ago

That is great info to know about the Chamys! Are the thread leaf forms a specific species or just foliage morphs of a variety of species? I'm thinking the feathery foliage types are the ones I find most attractive...of course. How about C. nootkatensis? I believe it is native to Alaska, so it should be hardy????

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Actually the threadleaf characteristic is the normal form. Chamaecyparis pisifera trees native to Japan have the same foliage. Many dwarf cultivars on the market: Sungold, Golden Mops, Filifera Nana, Filifera Aurea, Filifera Aurea Nana, etc. It's too bad the feather forms (plumose) are less hardy. It's more that they burn over the winter from wind and sun rather than temperature. You could try an intermediate form in foliage and hardiness called Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Minima'. It does well for me.

Foliage form is not enough to warrant varietal status, and the plumose and sqarrose forms are still the same species.

Nootkatensis is native to the Alaskan coast and coastal mountains (and further south). Even though, it is cold hardy. But alas, it can't tolerate our dry winter winds and sun. I had one for 8 years on the north side of my house. It received no winter sun. At 7ft one March day we had a foot of white, white snow and strong sun immediately after. The reflection (yes the reflection!) of the sun off the snow did it in.

Rick

• diannp
    18 years ago

I have a spot where I'd like to plant some conifers, however, it's next to black walnut trees. How well do conifers do next to, under or near black walnut trees? I have most of my hosta gardens and tons of perennials under these trees, but nothing with a woody base. Just curious if any of you grow conifers (dwarf or otherwise) under these conditions. Thanks. ;)

Diann
    IA Z5a

• jspece
    18 years ago

Thanks for the great info, leftwood. Maybe it will give me the courage to try a few Chamies again. Too bad on the nootkatensis, though...I was hoping to give 'Green Arrow' a try.

Diann...I guess I'm not sure how conifers would react, but I personally think the whole black walnut thing is a little over dramatized. The only plants I know for a fact will not do well are tomatoes and their relatives.

• diannp
    18 years ago

Jspece, I agree that black walnuts have gotten a bad rap. I suppose I'll have to find an experimental conifer and give it a try. :) Thanks.

Diann
    IA Z5a

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Funny you should mention black walnuts. I just read something on them and conifers last week. Supposedly Pines (Pinus species, not evergreens in general) are susceptible to the juglone that black walnuts exude. And there was one more genus I am not sure I am remembering right: spruce (Picea) was it?

I don't think I would worry about it. But there are some VERY knowledgeable people on the conifer forum. Post there, and you'll get the real answer.

Rick

Sponsored