Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding fruit

Posted by tannabanana 5a IA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 10:01

Hello there!

Growing up in North Dakota, my family always went chokecherry picking. Generally we went out along the section lines, abandoned homesteads and out in some pasture land to find the berries. We had a grand time and made some really good jelly and syrup (I never did try the wine my parents attempted to make).

I don't expect to have the same experience here but coming up this fall (I realize I've pretty much missed strawberry season), are there any u-pick places where you could pick up fruit inexpensively? I live in Cedar Rapids, so in the area would be nice. Although, we are up for day-trips. :) I'd love to put up some jelly/jams for us to enjoy as well as gifts.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding fruit

I wish I could help you out, but the only u-pick I know of is in Nevada (Iowa). If I recall correctly, they advertise picking in June and it's for strawberries and some other fruit. I'm sure you miss your chokecherries!

o
RE: Finding fruit

Iowa has "almost wild" fruit along the back roads...but you have to know where. My favorite is American Plums...like Lewis and Clark found here. Best way is to go to farmer's markets and talk with the local older folks. They may know where to look. Ask to buy some from them..be sure you know the right season for the fruit. You're safe if you ask in spring. Since Iowa is heavily cropped and the fields are getting bigger ..factory farming..it can be assumed that the fruit has been exposed to spray. An old farmer actually took my husband and I into the back roads and showed us the trees and helped us pick them. Another thing is to find out who owns the land and get information and permission. Beware of poison ivy. Hill country is the most likely place to find what you want. The plains are huge factory fields. Joyce in Iowa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here