Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsonc3

Naked Ladies

madsonc
19 years ago

Hello...I am so pleased to find that out of 10 bulbs that I bought from a fellow gardener last year of the lycoris squamigera (naked ladies) that I have one that just popped up over night...so beautiful...I have admired these for so long but I found it very difficult to acquire some...any of you familar with these bulbs? Do they multiply very fast...Of course, I am happy with one but sure would like MORE!!

Comments (13)

• Dianne42
    19 years ago

Never fear! In no time at all you will have Naked Ladies galore. If they like where they are, they will multiply quickly.

• MICinIA
    19 years ago

yep they multiply quickly :)
    mine are Sooo pretty this year, i love the shimmery bluish/lavendar/pinkish color of them.
    split mine up earlier this spring they were so crowded, and i am pleased to report they bloomed this same year.
    wasn't sure if they would or not.
    mic

• Linda_IA
    19 years ago

I love these plants! I just bought some bulbs at a flea market today. Dummy me did not ask how deep to plant the bulbs though. Can anyone tell me? Thanks in advance.

• diannp
    19 years ago

Linda, I think the suggested planting depth is about 5 inches deep. These bulbs will thrive and spread nicely for you without much work on your part. :)

Diann
    IA Z5a

• Linda_IA
    19 years ago

Thank you!

• hin58
    19 years ago

PLEASE share with me some sources for your lovely naked ladies!!!!! Our local garden center never has any in and I've not had much luck when I'm looking elsewhere.

Thanks so much!

Bobbie

• diannp
    19 years ago

Bobbie, just get to know someone with these surprise/naked lady lilys and I'm sure they would give you some in a heart beat. I gave away bushel baskets of these things earlier this Spring. I think if you order them over the net they will cost you anywhere from $5.00 up to $10.00 per bulb. Where are you in Zone 4? If you're close to the Mt. Vernon/Lisbon area you could stop by and I'd dig you some. (Of course, I might make you weed for your lilies! *just kidding*)

Diann
    IA Z5a

• riverats
    19 years ago

Just got to thinking. There is a guy that sets up for the Flea Market at What Cheer that usually sells them At the October show. Second weekend in October at the Fair grounds. He sits around the track. Bought some from him for 25 cents a bulb.

• diannp
    19 years ago

Riverats, that's the way to buy 'em. :) I think that they are pretty and all, but I don't think I'd be paying the price many nurseries want for them!!! Bobbie, are you anywhere close to What Cheer??

Diann
    IA Z5a

• hin58
    19 years ago

I'm a couple of hours from there, and our October is filled so for now they're on the back burner. We just prepared another 150' bed and we're about planted out for this year anyway! ;-)

Bobbie

• marciaz4
    19 years ago

What time of year is best to thin them out?

• diannp
    19 years ago

I dug some this spring when the foliage was just beginning to come up. I would think that Fall would be the best time, tho....

Diann
    IA Z5a

• Paul81inCA
    19 years ago

Ive had these in 2 different yards for 20 Years. I never took the time to see if the "seeds" would germinate from the withered flowers. Well Last Oct (2004) my wife cut off the stems, and when I started to trash them, I noticed a lot of "seeds" on the old blossoms. I cut them & put them in a cardboard box. Around the first week of Dec (2004) I noticed these things were germinating. So I have over 100 about 1 inch high in small plant containers. Will have to "babysit" these to Arizona from Jan thru July 2005, but will bring them back to CA in July. They would not survive 120 degree heat in AZ desert soil. Will keep the board posted on how well they do. They realy thrive here in So Calif. Had at least 30 blooming all at once in a 3 x 6 Ft space & they were very pretty.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting