Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxie105

fall flowers

roxie105
15 years ago

I am getting married in my back yard next September 12 (2009). I want to plant foowers all around to to add to the beauty of the yard.

I have no idea what would be best to plant that time of year as it is summer/fall.

The colors I am looking for are reds, oranges, yellow but not tons of it and light grenn shades (like hydrangeas). I know mums are around then but they are not my favorite.

I dont necessarily have to be able to use the flowers for boquets.

I also need to know if anything will need to be started before spring. I have TONS of space!!!! I already have numerous rose of sharon bushes lining the edge of the yard and lots of places with either shade or sun.

If you can help at all that would be awesome.

Comments (3)

• dirtdoctortoo
    15 years ago

How about goldedrod? There are some nice varieties much prettier than the stuff in the ditches such as one called "fireworks". They are not the culprits with pollen that bother so many people with seasonal allergies. That's the ragweed that is coming on strong at the same time.

Other things that come quickly to mind are false sunflower, helianthus I think its called, and regular sunflowers. I find the sunflowers look best if there is something to hide the lower portion of the foliage even with the dwarf varieties.

I do not know if asters would be blooming for you at this time but they are in the pink/purple family and might not work colorwise.

Don't forget the impact of foliage plants. Yellow toned hostas might perk up shadier areas, although hostas are sometimes getting a little tired looking by September.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Maria

• tannabanana
    15 years ago

Congratulations!

How do you feel about marigolds? Those little babies keep going strong especially if they are dead headed. There are some very nice varieties out there - check them out.

Black-eyed susans or any kind of rudbeckia would be nice. I have Indian Summer Rudbeckia and it is pretty cool - red & yellow at the same time.

I also would suggest Autumn Joy Sedum and for more of a foliage look - fountain grass. Oh and there are also knock-out red roses - very romantic!

One last idea would be to grow or buy pumpkins & Indian corn to be harvested for decoration here and there.

Hope that helps! You could go ahead and purchase the perennial this fall on discount and plant a year ahead. The plants will be bigger next year that way.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jansblooms
    15 years ago

Congratulations, Roxie! Have you thought of dahlias? They come in many colors and are quite showy. I would start with tubers, not seeds. Those from seed are small and not worth the space they take, in my opinion.

For green, consider heuchera, a perennial, as foliage plants. I have 'Key Lime Pie.' This year I tried a rudbeckia 'Irish Eyes' with yellow petals and lime green center. I started them from seed indoors in March.

I have zinnias 'Scarlet Flame' for a nice deep red, and they can be planted as seed after frost. Contrast them, if you like, with 'Purity,' a white zinnia. There is also a zinnia called 'Envy,' but the green is very faint and not consistent.

I would second the suggestion for grasses, from ribbon grass (green & white stripe) to perennial grasses to pennisetum. That is more burgundy.

Good luck with your plans and your gardening!

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions