Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stan_ia_z4

Butterflies are missing in N Iowa

stan_ia_z4
19 years ago

Only one butterfly so far. My butterfly weed has bloomed and gone to seed without a single larve. Are there any around anywhere this year? Stan

Comments (17)

• Mama_Mc
    19 years ago

I saw a beautiful black and blue butterfly yesterday. Several small yellow ones. Monarchs are here yet, maybe another month or so.

We didn't have honey bees this year!

• Maude_IA
    19 years ago

Down here in Washington we aren't seeing them either. Suppose the extra rain and cool temperatures have something to do with it?
    I did see a couple of larvae this past week - maybe they're just slow.

• GardenGirl_IA
    19 years ago

I have just started seeing them...it seems like they show up closer to fall. This cool weather has me thinking it is already well into fall! LOL I know it is usually September before I start seeing loads of "flutterbies"

• buttercupia
    19 years ago

I've seen a few this year, but not as many as usual..could be because of the cool weather so far. Also, we have to realize that when dusting or spraying, if we get poisons on the flowers to protect from japanese beetles or other things, the butterflies and bees will also be killed. It's a good idea to avoid getting poisons on the flowers, unless absolutely necessary.

• michelle_zone4
    19 years ago

This reminds me of the picture I snapped the other night. I have some monarchs but not very many. I have heard from people from other parts of the country that are complaining of no butterflies also.

{{gwi:1002018}}

• diannp
    19 years ago

So, do you all think it's the cold weather or the new BT corn?

Diann
    IA Z5a

• Iowagal
    19 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking about the corn too. Guess what they were warning us about a couple years ago might not be too far off the mark.

G r e a t picture, Michelle!

• uicricket
    19 years ago

What's BT Corn? I don't have any monarch caterpillars yet either and I keep looking every couple of days. Keeping my fingers crossed.

A large group of monarchs usually migrate through every fall. It's really neat to see hundreds on one tree in my yard. When they come through I try to mist my shrubs and make muddles for them so they have water.

Usually the zinnias are in full bloom and they flock to them.

Cricket

• diannp
    19 years ago

Cricket, check out this link. This is pretty old, but it explains what all the concern is about.

Diann
    IA Z5a

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarchs and Bt Corn

• Miss EFF
    19 years ago

I flower farm organically --it has been a terible year for butterflies. My cone flowers and zinnias are usually covered and there are very few. I think its the cool weather ----- but BT corn and soybeans could be making the difference.

Cathy

• Maxine_51334
    19 years ago

I have a few, but not like past years when the yard is full. I have huge flowerbeds that are usually covered with butterflies,but not this year.

• leah_zone5
    19 years ago

I've had a normal number of butterflies, but there isn't near the amount of farming by me as with Iowa. (My family is from Oskaloosa) However there haven't been any fritillary butterflies on my purple asters. Last year and in years past there has always been butterflies on them.

• GardenGirl_IA
    19 years ago

I have seen some this year. It has been a very unusual year regarding the weather. I know some years I seen many, and some years I don't.

In the original study, only a small number of caterpilars were tested, and they could only eat leaves treated with a heavy layer of Bt. Later studies have not proven a significant risk from Bt. The original Bt variety that was found to have negative effect on the Monarch has been phased out of production.

I am surrounded by Bt corn fields, and have seen no reduction of population. I do see year to year fluctuations which I contribute more to weather.

Another thing to consider is loss of habitat. I am shocked at the amount of urban sprawl whenever I head to Des Moines or Omaha. Each time I see more of the "country" paved an manicured.

• jeanettegifford
    19 years ago

i read somewhere that there are less monarchs this year because of cold weather in mexico where they migrate.

• stan_ia_z4
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Up Date:
    My friend, Al Batt, an expert on birds and many other things, says that the butterflies encountered many storms this spring, on their way north, which resulted in a lower population.

• Dianne42
    19 years ago

I have had the normal amount of butterflies this past month. They especially like the bon. verberna. Also have had the moth hummingbird and regular hummingbird(I'm sure the moths have a different name but that's what I call them). The monarchs always congregate on an old apple tree by my compost pile. This year not as many.

• soobee
    19 years ago

Hmmm...I saw a small "monarch cluster" in a tree about three weeks ago. Probably about 40 of them....AND I've had nice swallowtails and little yellows all summer (both the black/yellow and blue/black swallowtail types). A few monarchs were on my remaining veronica blossoms just a day or two ago, here in southern Cherokee county.