Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathy3777

Porcelain Berry Vine -- saw it at the Fair

cathy3777
19 years ago

Is anyone growing variegated porcelainberry vine in southeastern Iowa? I saw one growing on a trellis in the discovery garden outside the Agriculture building at the State Fair this weekend, and it was an attractive vine. The master gardener there answering questions said it was about three years old, and it was barely 3-4 feet high on the trellis. I have read that it is an invasive species, but is that more for warmer zones than ours? It certainly looked well-behaved at the fair. I'd like to use it, if I was assured it wouldn't try to take over.

Thanks,

Cathy

Comments (7)

• Maude_IA
    19 years ago

Neighbors whose backyard abutts ours have planted two varigated porcelainberry vines - one on either side of a large arched trellis which connects our two yards. They are also three years old (the vines, not the neighbors), maybe four. This year they filled the sides of the trellis and met at the top. This is the first year that they have done this, and it looks great.
    They (the neighbors, not the vines) provided some twine supports and occasionally have to remind the vines to climb up, not out onto the adjacent hedges.
    I have read that the vine could be invasive, and was prepared to find little sprouts throughout my garden, but this hasn't happened - yet? It has flowered and born fruit - berries - for two years, so I'm not too worried about an invasion anymore.

• uicricket
    19 years ago

I have one on an arch over my front walk. Probably not the best place for it as it gets a little too full, but I've not had problems with it being invasive. I asked the same question about invasiveness -- after I planted it. Mine is pretty well behaved. I just give it a haircut when it tries to spread to other plants. The flowers are mostly inconspicuous, but the berries are very pretty. I've had a lot of people ask me about it when they're walking by.

• Miss EFF
    19 years ago

I've had mine 7-8 years --it does self seed a little. I just pull out the seedlings. I give mine a haircut every spring or really late fall --before it would start to leaf out. I cut it to 6-8" and it takes off.

Cathy

• matt54
    19 years ago

I have a vine I planted last year at the base of one of my deck supports. This year it is about 8 feet tall. I got it from a neighbor where it is growing, mixed with honeysuckle, on the side of a silo. She does not cut it back and I bet it is at least 30 feet tall. She has an extensive garden and has no complaints about it being invasive.

• rhoda_azalea
    19 years ago

Giant Slug is on target with his description of the risk of porcelain vine. I had one and tore it out this year because of the risk it poses to woodlands. It is a MAJOR problem in some national parks because it is grown on properties adjacent to the parks and birds spread the seeds to pristine areas.

As for the vines at the fair, it would probably look very nice next to purple loosestrife.

Rhoda

• ditas
    12 years ago

I'm bringing this thread back up as *Procelain Berry Vine* was suggested to me by a nursery attendant, in one reputable place I have been going for 30 years.

I'm so thankful for the easy & accessibility of researching plants, before impulse planting, simply because we fall in love with a plant or foliage or blooms & scents etc. I've fallen victim to some because of appeal to my senses & have had to destroy or suffer the consequences (I have a female Ginkgo tree I adore & clean up after)

I found the link posted by GiantSlug before I got here just trying to find out & printed the fact sheet to take back to the nursery.

I've seen what *Kadzu* could destroy while visiting the South & recently the dangers of planting *Dames Rocket* here (illegal in a few Midwest states) & *Yellow ArchAngel Lamiastrun* in the PNW area & BC Canada (where my niece lives) the YAL is turning there into like the Kadzu in the Southern states.

For whatever it's worth! I'm glad I found this thread!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm