Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grading of Steep Hill

Posted by avjens Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 9:44

The small town we live in wants to grade our existing hill to match up with the curbs they have just put in. In order to put the curb in they cut halfway into our hill so now it is just a drop off. They want to come in and regrade it to hook up with the curb. Two questions:

We have a driveway to the east and a sidewalk at the top where they will regarde. Will this affect my driveway/sidewalk?

The city wants to just seed it down once they are done -- will this work on a steep slope?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grading of Steep Hill

Sounds to me it would be better if it were tiered with landscaping block. If seeded, how will they keep the grass seed & soil from being washed away in a heavy rain storm? Who is responsible for keeping it looking nice? Will it be mowable?

Will there be a drop off from the sidewalk? What if someone falls? Who is responsible for possible injuries?

We also live in a small town of 3,500. Years ago, the city had land donated with a small pond. They made the area into a park...nice job. BUT, we too had a steep hill. They seeded it with crownvetch! Wonderful plant for holding the bank up, but AWFULLY invasive. It is a constant battle fighting it...keeping it out of our lawn and gardens, and maintaining the appearance. But of course, this was done before we obtained the property, so we have to live with it.

I think you need to re-visit with them more and ask lots of questions. Get them thinking about what is the best option for all involved.

Becky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here