Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyaa_nyaa

Bringing coleus inside

nyaa_nyaa
18 years ago

Does anyone have any input on bringing coleus inside for the winter? I remember once upon a time my grandmother used to do it. I have a "mini-greenhouse" to keep help keep the temp constant. But I can't remember if she used to cut them and put them in wter and repot them or what exactly she did. I would really love your advice if you have time.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• Maude_IA
    18 years ago

I take cuttings, root them, pot them up, and then give them a pinch to promote branching.
    They take up less space this way, although I've had some of the cuttings get fairly large by early spring.
    In that case, I just do it again and have even more.
    They do have a tendancy to try to bloom -- is that a light-regulated function in this plant?

• asters
    18 years ago

Nyaa - there are two different types of coleus available. you may have the type that was started from seed and is more prolific in flowering, but even the coleus propagated from cuttings may start flowering now. If it's a seed coleus, you might just buy new seed next year and not have to hassle w/ overwintering the plants. If it's one of the cutting propagated coleus (which are usually much more expensive), then you'll decide if it's worth your time & trouble to keep the plants over the winter. The newer coleus were not available to our mothers - coleus was much more exotic back then than it is now, and not so easy to find at the nurseries in 4 packs in the spring.
    I've added a link to a Bachman's 'tip sheet'. Bachman's is a long-time nursery in the twin cities area. Their tip sheets are quite nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bachman's garden center, twin cities, Mn

• Dianne42
    18 years ago

I have a cutting propagated coleus that is expensive to buy so I put one of my potted plants in a south window and in the spring I take cuttings and have all I want. They root so easy in water.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH