Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maude_ia

Get in the car!

Maude_IA
18 years ago

The legendary Hy Vee garden center in Washington is having it's end-of-summer sale.

I picked up a healthy, blooming J&P rose for $5.00 (one of about 150 plants), and a tray full of 4" pot at 25¢ each - all good looking plants.

Large perennials, trees & shrubs are 25% off, too. They still have about 5 varieties of coral bells, lots of delphinium, sedum, & several pallets of daliahs in 5 gal. pots priced at $1.00 apiece.

There are also lots and lots of plants I can't remember - no annuals - almost all in good condition and labled.

If you have never been to the Washington HyVee's garden center, it's worth a trip, now or in the spring. This is not the usual one-hoop-house and a few racks type of place. There are three hoop houses, two large shade tents, and a small parking lot's worth of open pallets and racks, plus a good variety of building stone, trellis, benches, etc. The staff include a number of Master Gardeners, and they take good care of the plants througout the summer.

Did I hear you say Road Trip?

Here is a link that might be useful: Finding Washington's HyVee Garden Center

Comments (3)

• iowa50126
    18 years ago

Wow! this plant sale sounds like a good one. The HyVee in my town shut down it's garden center around the 4th of July.

But...

These days before I jump/get in the car...I do a little math first.

Iowa Falls to Washington according to MapQuest is a 332 mile round trip.(Assuming I don't get lost) My '99 Honda Civic gets about 35pmg. So that's about 9.5 gallons of $2.79 ga$...or $26.50 for the trip...not counting the plants...or lunch (burger & frys at the Archs = $4.00).

Hmmm...

Looks like I could save $30+ by staying home. Don't ya just hate Math!

Pete in I.F.

• Maude_IA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Always have!

• tam88
    18 years ago

Maude- Thanks about the nice words for the HY-VEE in Washington. I know I speak for all the employees there that we appreciate hearing we are doing a good job!!

Thanks
    Tam

Sponsored