Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2rosie

Hello in Iowa

Mom2Rosie
19 years ago

New to the forums here. I have visited the daylily site, and was glad to find an Iowa forum!

I am in the Clinton area. Newer to gardening, just started 4 years ago, first summer after dd was born and first summer in my new home. Working on establishing more perennials. Look forward to reading and enjoying Iowa talk!

Donna

Comments (21)

• sanfan
    19 years ago

Welcome aboard Donna! Don't know much about Clinton, I'm in Waterloo.As a new gardener, may I suggest volunteering at your local parks or green scenes.
    It's a great way for hands on. You meet lots of gardeners. And You usely find new friends who share plants.

• buttercupia
    19 years ago

Donna! Welcome and happy adventures in gardening. There's always something new to learn. Hope the forum is helpful to you..I really enjoy the many ideas, observations, experiences and perspectives I read about here. I'm north of Clinton, near Dubuque.

• Mom2Rosie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is great. Thanks for the ideas Sanfan! I know Waterloo oh too well. Went to UNI there in the early 80's.
    Buttercup, thanks too, love the Dubuque area also...scenic along the river!

• Iowagal
    19 years ago

Welcome Donna from up by the border. Good to have you here.

Iowagal

Go Cyclones! Oops, that just slipped out ;o)

• soobee
    19 years ago

Hey, not sure I ever introduced myself. I'm Becky, from Cherokee County. I lived in Sioux City for ten years prior to moving to our new home on slightly less than an acre, last December. I've been working hard all spring and summer, seeing how many new trees I can cram into this space and transplanting "my babies" from my old garden.
    Since I've always gardened on rented property before, but now have my Own Dirt, I expect my gardening mania will be reaching new heights.

• maxkoreen
    19 years ago

Hi Donna
    Sounds like we may have a lot in common. I am in Davenport. May be able to help you with building up your garden.
    Wendi

• cheerpeople
    19 years ago

Hello from just across from clinton, in the thomson, IL area! I went to clinton HS and yes go cyclones- for a while- until I transferred outta state.

We still meander over for church and the best pizza- pizza hut!

I'm just a year behind you Donna, as I got 'bit' by the gardening bug 3 years ago.

Nice to know there are other GWers nearby

karen

• growlove
    19 years ago

Hi Soo bee. Well, finally found someone who isn't so far away. Cherokee is within driving distance. What wonderful nurseries do they have there? We have been there several times to visit relatives who lived at larrabee and Meridan.

I have an annual plant sale in our little town during the 3rd week of May. Usually have 800 or so perennials dug in gallon plants. They are all hardy in our zone 4. If you would like to take a drive around then, would be glad to meet another flower lover. Mary

• Dianne42
    19 years ago

Hello from Butler County area(NE Ia.)Glad to see another Iowa gardener on line. The way the weather is lately I think I will be spending more time on the computer instead of going outside. Like Mary I have been gardening a long time and keep adding new beds every year. Luckily I live on a farm so I can keep expanding. Hope to hear from you again. Dianne42

• jamlover
    19 years ago

How I envy you inClinton. The Arborratum (sp) there is really neat. I and a friend were there last March to see all the dwarf conifers. Garden group hope to make it back there this summer. I'm at Delhi, between Dubuque and Waterloo. Jean

• soobee
    19 years ago

+++I have an annual plant sale in our little town during the 3rd week of May. Usually have 800 or so perennials dug in gallon plants. They are all hardy in our zone 4. If you would like to take a drive around then, would be glad to meet another flower lover. Mary+++

Hi, Mary,
    I'd love to meet you and see your plants! I'm quite excited by the nurseries I've discovered up in the Great Lakes area, in addition to right here in Cherokee County--Tofts, and others ( I can't remember the names). I've already seen (and bought) plants that, previously, I had to buy online. Next spring I'm heading up there for a Pagoda Dogwood, for instance.

I don't mind if you write to me at my "public" email address, so we can plan to get-together: Beckyleach@aol.com

• ginni77
    19 years ago

This thread is just too cool! I'm mostly on the rose forums, but I visit the Iowa forum once in a while too.

I was born in Sioux City(maternal grandparents lived there for many years and are buried there) lived the first 5 years of my life in Ames while my dad got his masters degree in ag. engineering, then moved to the Illinois Quad Cities where I've lived most of my life. My DH was from Algona and we lived there for about 3 years after we married. We were married at West Okoboji ...my family has a cabin there that's been in the family since the 1920's...way before my time and we go there every year. (SooBee, you're right about the great nurseries in the Great Lakes area) My DH passed away almost 10 yrs ago and about 3 years ago I met a man, my present SO, who is from Clinton. He and I have a home in the Quad Cities and have some rose/perennial gardens.

Good to "meet" you all!

Ginni

• jmcelroy
    19 years ago

Awesome forum! My first post. moved to South central IA (3 miles from MO) after 21 yrs in Ames restoring Victorian gardens (and homes). Now I'm on a Prairie (or what once was) with no lanscaping/plantings at all!

How do I locate other S. IA or DesMoines gardeners on this site? Most of the posts seem to be upstate - which I would love to see on a rode trip - but hoping to connect a little closer to home for exchanges.

Any help - leads appreciated. Should I post this message elsewhere?

• charlene_in_iowa
    19 years ago

Hello from Clinton! I am on a little break from gardening while I work and go to school. Well I still plant some, but haven't the time to swap seeds. I still read the posts though! I'd still like to send a hello.
    Hope your garden is beautiful.

• mellen
    19 years ago

My goodnes, folks. I have not been to this forum in awhile. Looks like a lot of new people here. Let me introduce myself. I'm Mellen from central Iowa--Hardin Co. Grew up in Bancroft--Kossuth Co. Have a sister employed in the West Delaware School Dist. Is Delhi part of that? Another sister down around Ft. Madison. I go to Ames and Waterloo quite often. Especially Ames--shopping, Dr., go Clones(grad.) many years ago. So am familiar with quite a bit of the state. Javern, beautiful place you have. Wish I had your talent. I'm just getting started at our own new place. I have been spending a lot of time on the round robin forum. When I first started GW I was almost always on the Seed Exchange. I think I just might move over here. : )

• tam88
    19 years ago

Donna-
    Welcome! I haven't been here long either but GardenWeb has become an invaluable tool where I come to seek advice and information. I have been gardening awhile but there always seems to be more to learn. I live in the Washington area in Southeast Iowa.
    How cool is it that Iowa State, Iowa, and UNI made it into the Men's NCAA's. Between waiting for things to start turning green around here and basketball season it truly is March Madness!! I am hoping that the Cyclones do well. Went to school there back in the day
    Take Care and Think Spring!!

• jeviolet
    19 years ago

Jmcelroy I saw you once lived in Ames and were looking for gardeners from Iowa. I live half way between ames and Des Moines. The past two days have given me gardening fever however as usual the first warm days of spring have come with wind. Oh well dries up the pasture and the driveway. hope to see you on here again soon
    Janet

• thawk
    19 years ago

Welcome Donna. My name is Tim, i have a lot of family livnig in camanache and fulton, so i'm familiar with the area. I currently live in DesMoine and would like to say hello to jmcelory and jeviolet, sounds like they are also from the metro area. Always nice to meet local gardners.

• MICinIA
    19 years ago

hi all, i'm from davenport (hi wendi) anxious for spring planting...started a little greenhouse with my dd6 today, tomatoes, chives, green pepper. cant wait to be outside digging in the dirt :)
    mic

• zeke
    19 years ago

i was wondering, i dont know if this the right forum to
    ask this question but does anybody have any advice on planting rhubarb ??
    yesterday i cleaned out one of my chicken houses ,and while i was cleaning i recalled that a buddy of mine told me about his Mother had transplanted some rhubarb in a former chicken yard and it did wonderful .
    so was wondering does anybody if old chicken manure/woodchips will help give newly planted rhubarb a boost in growing ??
    as i am contemplating taking the old bedding that i cleaned out of the chickenhouse and making a bed for rhubarb
    any suggestions ??
    thanks,
    Zeke

• number_1_angel
    19 years ago

Hi Donna--Jeanette from the s/w corner of Iowa here--I've been a gwebber for about a year and love it!!I spend a lot of time on round robin and houseplant forums--but really jump all over-- WELCOME--- always glad to see another gardener from Iowa!!
    Jeanette
    ps--Hi Mellen!!!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County