Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msstfrancis2u

American Bittersweet

MsStFrancis2U
19 years ago

I just bought some American Bittersweet today, male and female plants. I paid a hefty price for it, but to me it's worth it. Now, my question is for those who have it already, it's got the berries on it now, but will it take another year to establish and probably not have berries next year? I've always heard that it takes a while to get going. But this is a big healthy plant. The Gent at Pecks told me it's one of the easiest plants to grow.

I'm also starting to think I should plant it in back rather than in the front...people around here pay an arm and a leg for bittersweet...I'd probably be robbed blind!

Comments (8)

• mary_lu_gw
    19 years ago

Marcy, I planted 4 bittersweet along our fence to give us privacy by the swing. They have done wonderful, but so far no berries. Supposedly I have 1 male and 3 female. They were planted summer of 2002. I have to keep cutting them back at the top of the 8 foot fence. Once this summer I let them grow until they reached up to the tree, then cut them back.
    {{gwi:1002163}}
    another view taken earlier in the summer
    {{gwi:1002164}}
    Mary Lu

• MsStFrancis2U
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh my goodness that looks absoultely lovely on your trellis/fence! I hope mine gets that big, though I'm sure it will. Perhaps I should plant them behind our house on a fence. Did you buy yours like I did at a nursery or did you get starters from someone? Like I said, these are established plants, and they have berries now, but there was also a whole lot more plants there, male and female, to pollinate each other. :o/

• Maude_IA
    19 years ago

My dad planted a pair about 20 years ago, and as of this year, they (it?) are completely covering the 10 x 10 ft. trellis and have surged up a nearby ash tree -- tops out around 25 feet, I think. Thank goodness it's at the edge of a 'wilderness area' rather than in a garden.
    He gets berries, too, and they are fertile, although there are only a few young plants here and there.
    Should I bring some to the swap meet in Morse next spring?

• MsStFrancis2U
    Original Author
    19 years ago

They have a swap meet in Morse? LOL That's kind of funny! It's such a tiny little villiage! I'm sure folks would buy it up. I would...and did! You could probably sell some sprigs for fall decorations. Especially if your dad has that much. You won't miss it much :)

• mary_lu_gw
    19 years ago

I bought mine at a nursery too. So far I am very happy with them. I do know that I will have to continue to "prune" them to keep them in check, but that's ok. Even if I don't get berries I won't mind toooo much. They do provide the privacy that I wanted and that was the main thing. The berries would be an added plus.
    Mary Lu

• Maude_IA
    19 years ago

MsStFrancis2U - Yes, tiny Morse has a gardeners swap meet in the spring, but everything is traded - there's no buying or selling. If you're curious, come join us -- it's educational as well as a good source of new plants and ideas. It's listed on the Exchanges board of this forum.

If I brought any bittersweet, it would be young plants potted up for someone to take home and plant.

If anyone is interested, I need to tell him so they aren't weeded out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iowa Exchanges

• rhoda_azalea
    19 years ago

I suspect there will be many "takers" if you bring bittersweet to the plant swap. I would love some.

Rhoda

• buttercupia
    19 years ago

I have some bittersweet growing in shrubbery from the previous house owners. I have tried to pull it out, but it keeps coming back.. It gets no berries..do you think it might get berries if planted out in the open?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH