Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for wild (sour) grapes

Posted by ricjo22 5 (hughri1@aol.com) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 22:59

i have moved to iowa from the east coast three years ago.out there the wild grapes grew in huge clusters everywhere along the roads and every fall i would collect and process several quarts of the sour nearly black juice to use for cooking .this year i am nearly out and i have not seen a decent crop in iowa in my first two years here . i am hoping someone can help me find a place to harvest some in s.e. iowa. i see them growing here and there but very few have fruit on them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for wild (sour) grapes

I have never seen any wild grapes that bear fruit here in Iowa. It is a weed that just feeds Japanese Beetles and leaf galls.
Some of the varieties developed by the Univ. of Mn. like St Pepin for white or Swenson's Red are good for this area.

Here is a link that might be useful: St Pepin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here