Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earl May is closing

Posted by Monarae z4 IOWA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 7:54

Just read in the paper today that EarlMay is closing in Mason City by the end of this month. Its been around this area for 38 years. I know that EarlMay is a bit more expensive, but I always enjoyed walking through and dreaming. My co-workers gave me a gift certificate there for my birthday last year. Had a ball spending it!
Hate to see these businesses closing......

MonaRae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earl May is closing

hate to hear that, too. i love earl may. hope we keep ours.

o

Ours in Boone closed last week also.

o

Our's (Creston) closed back in late October/early November. Totally out of the blue. Even the workers at the store only got a couple days notice. They told them, "We're closing the store this week," and told them they'd be there to pack everything up. No sales, no anything....just WHAM!

o

I tried to log on to the Earl May website today, but it was not responding.

The site still shows up on Google but it timed out when I tried to go there.

o

That is what happened here with the workers also.
No notice, just had a couple of days.....
I will miss smelling the dirt in Jan. as that is when I
start to get spring fever! hehe!

MonaRae

o

Earl May actually closed 12 stores in total and a few years ago they fired all of their Professional Landscape Designers, ending their professional landscaping program.

o

I see the one in Denison was closed also.

o

The one in Iowa city is still open. i called them yesterday for some questions and they said they will be having new shipments in 2 weeks, meaning they probpaly won't close soon.
i don't know why all the other ones closed...

o

Our Earl May in Waterloo, Cedar Falls is still open. I'm afraid the big chain stores are really making it hard on them.

o

I think they are restructuring or something. I stopped at the one in Ottumwa and bought a small greenhouse and asked about Alfalfa Meal for my Hosta's and they don't carry it because they aren't classified as a feed store or something similar. Leaning towards greenhouse/plant sales.
Paws

o

Our Earl May on the Northwest side of town here in Cedar Rapids is still open and are advertising for landscaping crews to hire. This is a small store, but I still like to go and browse and of course dream over their big pots and planters that I can't afford.

o

winifred--Thats were I got my Alfalfa meal last year but I don't think they were going to get any in this year. Wanted to try it with my Hosta's again.
Paws

o

The Earl May in Atlantic, IA closed last fall and also in Red Oak, IA a few years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here