Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soobee_gw

Japanese Maples?

soobee
19 years ago

Hi, there! I have a question: in driving around Cherokee recently (lower zone 4, but in a protected river valley) I noticed what appeared to be--by virtue of their gorgeous color and branching habit--Japanese maples. :-O I'm surprised, as I've never seen a Japanese maple in a catalog, that is listed as hardy for zone 4. But, now I'm lusting after one....anybody raised these successfully this far north? Which variety did you find most hardy? Any other tips? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• diannp
    19 years ago

SooBee, you might want to check out Ride Road Nursery in Bellview, Iowa. I think he has some oriental maples..

Diann
    IA Z5a

Here is a link that might be useful: Ridge Road Nursery

• hawki
    19 years ago

SooBee,
    I'd suspect you're looking at Amur maples,which freely seed all over the place (they are a pest in my woods), and form thickets along some of the roadsides here in town that right now are glowing red and orange. I grow Japanese maples here in 5a Iowa City, and met somebody who had a whole yard full of them in a protected spot in Waterloo, but I don't think you'd see any just driving around NW Iowa. In a protected spot you could probably grow a Bloodgood derived type of Japanese maple (Bloodgood, Robinson's red, maybe Emperor) but those types don't really have the most colorful Fall foliage.A better bet would be Acer pseudosieboldiana,the Korean maple, which has better Fall color and is hardy in Z4, (Ridge Road I think carries it) or stop by here and I'll give you as many Amurs as you can dig.
    Don

• hawki
    19 years ago

Guess I should show a Japanese maple in its Fall color: this is Oshi-Beni. It's almost as bright red in the Spring too.
    Don

Here is a link that might be useful:

• soobee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

**I'd suspect you're looking at Amur maples,which freely seed all over the place (they are a pest in my woods), and form thickets along some of the roadsides here in town that right now are glowing red and orange**

Hmmm..well, these WERE planted right up next to two different houses--clearly they were *ornamental* plantings. But, you never know! Maybe they *were* amurs. I'll look into the Korean maples for now...thanks for the information! (I haven't been to Iowa City in a year, but lived there from '79--'84. I'll take you up on the amur offer if I'm heading that way some day. :-)

• whitewater176z5a
    19 years ago

not sure of the cultivar but we have had a japanese maple here in zone 5 for 4 years and seems to be doing great

• Greenthumb
    19 years ago

I hope you don't mind a "Minnesotan" barging in on this thread?

Here is a picture of my Acer pseudosieboldianum in fall color. This tree is usually orange rather than red. This tree is completely hardy here in Minneapolis (Northern edge of zone 4a).

Acer pseudosieboldianum 10-29-04

{{gwi:1002190}}

Mike

• soobee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

**Here is a picture of my Acer pseudosieboldianum in fall color.**

What a gorgeous tree! Are those leaves as variegated as they appear in the picture?

Thanks, all, for the advice, btw. I've bought two amur maples ('embers' and 'flame') and have planted them in the front yard. If the rabbits allow them to live, it should be lovely there, soon....

• Greenthumb
    19 years ago

SooBee,
    Yes, the leaves look in-person exactly like they do in the picture. This tree has normal green leaves during the growing season, but the leaves had a wonderful mix of colors this fall. I love the effect of the dark orange center and the light orange edge that the leaves showed this fall.
    Mike

• soobee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey, just wanted to let you all know that there's a great sale on the tree under discussion-Acer pseudosieboldianum--till January 31st, at Magic Maples. You get a large, aproximately 4 foot tree for 10% PLUS free shipping. Since it's in a 2-gallon pot, and coming from California, that's quite a savings on freight. Here's the link:

http://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_Cookie=1.21.05_08,35,31_19/*ws4d-db-query-Class_Quicksearch.ws4d?ClassNo=302

I've already ordered mine. :-)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio