Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmherbert

Covering/Hiding Chain link fence

jmherbert
16 years ago

Hello,

I would like to know what would make a good plant (vine, shrub, etc.) to hide a chain link fence.

I have done some searches, and right now I am leaning towards Virgina Creeper.

Looking for advice on it, as well as other ideas.

Thanks,

James

Comments (7)

• jspece
    16 years ago

Virginia Creeper climbs by tiny rootlets along the stems...I don't think it would climb a chain link fence very well, without a lot of help from you.

I would choose a vine that climbs by twining or with tendrils that wrap around. Clematis do this and Sweet Autumn Clematis is large enough to cover a good chunk of fence.

Silver Lace Vine would work.

I'm sure there are many others.

• javern
    16 years ago

plant morning glory in the spring

• micheleyobelle444
    16 years ago

I've been researching this also. Shade? or full sun? Mine's in shade, so I've considered climbing hydrangea (purported to take a couple of years to get going, but worth it). I saw a beautiful display of hyacinth bean in full sun last week. That would be an annual for us, but gorgeous masses of purple flowers. You can find photos online.

• jmherbert
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine is full sun, except late evening it gets a little shade, but were talking about maybe 1-2 hours before sundown.

I would want a low maintenance, hardy perennial. Virgina Creeper is the best I've found so far. I am also considering planting Fire bushes in front of it.

• richdeer3
    16 years ago

Morning glories are great for fast growth but are a real pain to remove after frost. I use a large kitchen knife to take them off. If you can leave them on the fence over the winter the birds just love the seeds and you will get a better and earlier crop the next spring.

• marmi
    16 years ago

Chain link fences can be lots of fun. I once saw a fence completely covered with Clematis of assorted colors. A breathtaking sight.

On my fence, I have planted a variegated Virginia creeper and variegated Porcelainberrry vine (Ampelopsis). They both seem to prefer full lsun. It will be a while befoe the fence is hidden.

To fill in the blank spots, I have been planting Passionvine (passiflora) which serves as an annual but puts on a huge display of lavender fragrant flowers. I don't have a problem with it reseeding since it is not hardy here. It can be dug in the fall to overwinter in the house until next season. Wonder what colors will be available next year.

• ditas
    16 years ago

Sweet Autumn Clematis is a sure pleaser IMO ... planted a couple last season and this year, climbed over an arbor and gzillion 1" white blooms in Sept covered the top like a beautiful bride! other SA lovers claim, wafts of lovely vanilla-like or jasmine-like scents will grace your surround! Earl May promised that mine will develop the lovely scent as vine matures with seasons!

I just read that she's easy to clone too!

Careful with V Creeper - my neighbor's crawled over his Crab Apple tree and I think will eventually choke it. I had to have my tree limbs trimmed as the creeper is trying to reach over mine too!

I thought I read somewhere in another thread in this IA gardening (while researching on ideal vine for my need) to be careful with Porcelainberry vine, as it is invassive ... birds love the berries and spread them in our prairie ... a potential problem. Don't take my word tho - go to Vines in this gardenweb

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor