Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Mums to mulch or cut them back

Posted by alanis Z4 IA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 9:18

This is my first year of planting fall mums, they were planted by Oct 4th and they are still alive and blooming in the middle of November! We have had temps in 20's and 30's too!!

I don't want to lose them but have no idea what to do here..please help!

I want to get the mulching or care done asao...as I'm not a WINTER person!

Do I cut them back? Do I put leaves on top of the big mound of flowers now? I live in windy area...can I use something besides leaves to protect? We make our own mulch and have been using that for a couple of years now in flower beds. Would that work? I could use wire cages or something that is more solid like an old plastic or metal tub. Good idea or bad?

Tried to do searches for this info but my computer and bandwidth are both S L O W in the country!!

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Mums to mulch or cut them back

I would mulch them well. But I read in Cedar Rapids Sunday paper . Guy said Mums here in Iowa planted in fall don't survive as well as ones that are planted in Spring. Also read to put rose ones on them.Good luck

o

I planted some mums that were leftovers at our HyVee a few years ago..Planted in the fall. I cut them back and mulch them in the fall and they come back better each year! These are the Hardy Mums they sell in front of the store in the fall.

o

I have cut them back both in spring, (early) and fall. Doesn't seem to make much difference. And I do mulch some with maple leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here