Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditas_gw

Gingko leaves - OK for mulching ?

ditas
16 years ago

Hi Iowa/zone4a/5 Gardeners, good mid-morning!

My old Gingko barely turned golden when Mother Nature told him to drop them!

Overnite, he certainly did - thank heavens for finally calmed winds - he did drop them just around his feet - no stinky fruits to rake this year either (due to 2wk freeze in April) just silky, leathery beautiful fan-like leaves. What a same not to be able to use this pile of nature's gold <:->I have several marginally tender Hydrangeas to protect - could I safely use them as a blanket, inside the wire cages I created around each bush?

TIA for your thoughts & experiences <:->

Comments (6)

• lilycrazy
    15 years ago

My question is- why WOULDN'T you be able to ?? I dont know anything about this tree.

• ditas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Maude - Thanks for hoping on, I waited a while & since no one responded I called a nursery to find out ... "NO" was the response - too heavy, will mat down & might suffocate my Hydrangeas. In a way I was glad I didn't, as this past Winter was the snowiest from beginning to end, in a long while! A friend wanted all my bags & bags of collected leaves for her raspberry bushes - so, were put to good use.

I know Old Gingko is a she, now - only started fruiting in the past 6 or so years. He was planted in the early '80s as a none-fruiting tree ... grew so handsomely tall and majestic that I have always called him my Prince! 2005 was a bumper-crop year (whew & phwee!!!) & dreaded each year after that. The following year must have been a rest year for fruits ... 2 wks of subfreezing temps in April of 2007 must have killed all the buds ... I'm not sure what's in store this Fall.

I understand that U of I & I-State had taken down all the beautiful Gingko trees along their campus curbs. I'm hoping that the tree experts will come up with a solution yet ... it'll break my heart to take this majestic tree down!

Lilycrazy - Gingko is a stately tree with beautiful, leathery, fan shaped leaves that turn to amazingly beautiful, glowing, golden yellow in the Fall & drops all at once when Mother Nature snaps! The fruits are fleshy with edible kernels (give foul smell as fruit disintegrates) - native of China, Japan & Korea - the only surviving species of Gymnosperms that flourished during the dinosaur age. Bible stories claim this to be the tree-seedling, Noah brought on the Arc, to save from the great deluge. Gingko Biloba is used as memory boosters.

Thanks again for your interest! :-)
    Ditas

• HU-674498396
    5 years ago

Our ginkgo, fortunately a male, did not turn gold this year and did not lose it’s leaves all at once contrary to past experiences. The extremely wet weather may have been a factor..

Badger

• Mary Baldwin
    5 years ago

My Ginkgo dropped it's leaves green, too. I am going to place them in an area that I call 'the forest'. It can flood there (water just sort of sits there vs rushes through). I may place other type leaves under them. The Ginkgo will hold the more fly away leaves. Nothing grows in this area due to the water, but maybe some day!

• Viola jacobs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

By the end of October, every ginkgo tree will turn BEAUTIFULLY golden here in Silicon Valley of California.

Last year I was too lazy to remove the ginkgo leaves. So I just let it mulch all 3 of my blueberries (Sunshine blue). This spring, to my surprise, it gives a super boost to them. So many new shoots and so many berries! My neighbor also grows 3 blueberries of the same type on the other side of the low fence, 3 feet from mine. But his gardener cleans up all dead leaves. So no mulching at all. This spring his blueberry bushes are so tiny and sad compare to mine. I wonder...

Perhaps GInkgo leaves provide the needed acidic compost? or it provides super nutrients?

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County