Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohlrabi choices for the Iowa climate

Posted by mikkle 5A (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 24, 10 at 20:56

What varieties of kohlrabi have Iowa gardeners had luck in growing? I grew some several years back but, as I recall,they weren't that great. My wife recently picked a few up at a farmers market which we really liked, but she didn't think to ask about the variety. I'd be curious to know the names of the varieties Iowa gardeners have had success with, and how heritage varieties complete with hybrids and with the larger 8-10" bulbs that are grown. I live in SE Iowa.
Mikkle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohlrabi choices for the Iowa climate

Not from Iowa, but across the Missouri in Nebraska.
My best luck has been with the hybrids - Grand Duke hybrid has done well for me in the past, last season I tried Kolibri (purple) and Kongo (white), most of my plants succumbed to the tragedy of my Bt spray (I misread the amount of wetting agent to use and burned all my brassicas) but the few that missed the spray seemed to do good. Trying both of them again this year.
Early white/purple Vienna get way too woody for me. Haven't tried the large bulbed (Superschmeltz) types.

o

I've had excellent results with every type that I've planted, both in the spring and fall plantings. As Cybrczch says, Some of the early varieties tend to get woody if you let them get too big, but it usually isn't a problem for me. They get eaten quickly!

o

Mikkle, curious as to how your kohlrabi did this year. I started mine indoors to transplant, I planted 18 Kolibri and 18 Kongo plants out in mid-late April, harvested the first Kolibri at the end of May and picked the last 3 Kongo 2 days ago. Big, but not woody, could eat all the way down to the stem area. This year I also tried roasting them, cubed, tossed with oil and salt, then top with parmesan. Not bad at all.

o

I have had good luck with Kossak hybrid direct seeded in the spring produce baseball to softball size tender and sweet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here