Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needing Plant Recommendations

Posted by rosekrazy 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 22:53

I have a very steep backyard, part of which is lawn. At the bottom of the lawn is the tree line, which is a nice way of saying, where all the ratty mostly annual scrubby weeds start under the trees. And every year I swear at them when I'm trying to clear the leaves off the lawn. The leaves get hung up on the dead stalks of the tall weeds.There is a creek further down the hill, and we have to be careful because underground water sometimes makes part of the steepest sections break away. So I need a plant that 1) has really good root systems to help anchor the slope, 2) that is perennial (so it doesn't have to be replanted every year), 3) growth can easily be chopped back at the end of the summer to facilitate leaf cleanup.

I know, I'm asking a lot of a plant, but I'm hoping there is one out there. For once, I don't care about the type of leaves, plant structure or if it blossoms. I just want something that will define the edge of the lawn and help hold the slope in place, and then be able to cut it back hard so I can clean up the leaves. So what do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needing Plant Recommendations

Are you needing something to grow under the tree or at tree drip line?? Asparagus has a huge root system and needs to be cut back after frost. It needs sun so under the tree wouldn't work. If you don't want something tall then again it wouldn't work. but for a perennial, good root system and wonderful tasting vegetable to boot about all I can think of is this or lilies. There's one other idea it is a grass but I hate it myself. It grows in clumps and about kills the lawnmower when I mow over it. The grass is called orchard grass.. It too has a massive root system.

o
RE: Needing Plant Recommendations

If you are wanting something to hold down the soil, is shorter in size, and a perennial, I would go with clover or vetch. It's invasive though, so I would not plant it where it needs to keep in a small space. You can also try to contain it by building a little edging on the perimeter of your grass lawn with stones or metal edging material. Wildflowers are also a good option. They will usually thrive without care and come back every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iowa Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here