Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baumer_gw

Chicago Flower Show tour

Baumer
20 years ago

They are having tour to the show March 15th-that's a monday. Bus leaves Tanger mall at 6 am-returns at 10pm. Cost is $48. Have to payment sent in by Feb 20th.

Comments (6)

• ironbelly1
    20 years ago

Baumer,

Every time I have gone to the Chicago Show at Navy Pier I always left a little disappointed. However, if you are going, the $48 bus trip is a good way to go.

I am about an hour closer than you are (Quad Cities) but my lovely wife and I have made it a point to include either the Chicago Botanical Gardens or the Morton Arboretum when we drive to the flower show. I always come away from both of those places feeling fulfilled, excited and inspired. In particular, the CBG easily makes a full daytrip in itself.

Some of the smaller, regional shows are almost as good and occasionally better. The Symphony In Bloom show in the Quad Cities is a little smaller but often has much better content; although the last 2 years they changed facilities and a bit of confusion ruled.

As far as quality and learning events, Project Green (?) in Iowa City puts on number of smaller events that are sometimes just superb -- although they won't give you that rush of blooming flowers that your upcoming Chicago bus trip will. Have fun.

IronBelly

• Baumer
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, I jst hope it's not snowing . Even though I'm only 18 miles from the mall. Can be kinda scary driving at 5 am. Might sweet talk Dh into taking day of vacation.But gals from garden club siad I would like the trip,so will see.

• Miss EFF
    20 years ago

Have to agree with Ironbelly --I've been to the show twice --love the flowers in March but the gardens are somewhat disappointing. BUT they have always had an AWESOME garden train display.

I personally think they are weak on vendors and the gardens, tho nice, are not creative and exciting. The $48 bus ride is a great price --parking is almost that much!!!! I would take it for a fun day trip. And realize that the garden shows in Iowa are as nice if not nicer.

Cathy

• Baumer
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, I hope they get a second bus. Should have dropped money off when I first saw ad. But going to today ,and hope someone cancel or enough sign up for second bus. But thought it would be nice day off from work. And talk flowers. Will have to wait and see.

• Baumer
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'm going the second bus little higher priced $53. But I didn't have to pay for the trip. One of my customers gave a (((tip))). I'm going to buy material to make nice canvas shopping bags. Most likely wouldn't buy many plants. Maybe bulbs,new pruners,gloves and seeds.

• Baumer
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I thought show was great. Just got my pictures back today. Lot of ideas. Gal who had gone there before said lot of new booths. Got a list of vining plants I want to try. Saw one arbor that had bird house gourds. We have grown them before. They had it in the middle of the flower beds. Looked neat. If my DH had ben with me would have carried more things to the bus. But best of all the gal who sat next to me-we talked all the way. Just like we have know each other for years. She coming to my house me to hers.