Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!!! What is this??

Posted by lovetogarden z4 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 19, 06 at 4:49

I have a small guesthouse on my property. It has a cinderblock foundation with a small crawl space. There are opening vents in the front and back of the crawl space (front and back of the house), that has a heavy duty wire mesh covering (this hasn't been breached). I had friends stay there over the holidays. When I went in there the other day, to close up the house, I noticed burrow holes all along the front of the porch which is at ground level and two perfectly round holes right up through the wood of the porch deck. What animal could do this? I did notice some tracks and they looked like bunny tracks. I pried up one of the floor boards of the deck and saw soil dug up. I put a rat trap down with peanut butter. Checking it today I saw soil dug up all around it but it wasn't touched. Could this be a rat, a rabbit, or a possum. Do all these animals chew? Also, there are no animal droppings to give me a clue as to what animal this could be. There is also no odor (which I guess is a good thing since people have told me that rats have a distinct unpleasant smell. Please help,as I'm going out of my mind with worry. I've never had a rat on my property and I don't want to have any now. Also, I have spayed and vacinated ferral cats (2) on my property that are great mousers. If it were rats wouldn't they kill them too? Please, please help. P.S. There is none of this activity at the main house or barn (inside or out).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!!! What is this??

Possums don't chew holes like that. Other than that, your guess is as good as ours! Rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, rats, mice, and maybe even voles.

I would probably put out a Havahart trap baited with fresh veggies and bread and see what you come up with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here