Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmsr

Pesticide exposure and IQ

Kimmsr
10 years ago

While waiting at the doctors yesterday I read in an issue of Parenting magazine, (2013) an article that said studies indicate that children, under age 5, exposed to pesticides had lower IQ's then peers not exposed. I have found, but not yet read, numerous other articles on line.

Comments (5)

• ronalawn82
    10 years ago

kimmsr, I dread the phrase studies indicate.
    Experimental Methods have changed a lot since my day; it seems like everything has. I have little time for a survey that does not narrate its objective, methods and materials and conclusions.
    Two days ago I heard on radio, about the connections between doctors' surveys and benefits like money, speaking engagements etc. A day or two earlier there was a comment about the 'commercialization' of a children's disorder (AHDH, I believe). The promotion of medication appears to have been the objective.
    I was listening to the TV one morning and there was an ad for a drug against diabetes. It seemed that the litany of side effects and cautions took up about 90 percent of the time.
    I am quite convinced that:

1. There is no safe chemical; only safe ways of using chemicals.
    2. All chemicals have side effects.
      These two guidelines have given me confidence to use chemicals at work and in the house without fear; and to question my doctor very pointedly about his prescriptions for me.
  • Kimmsr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For many years I have seen the result of studies done on migrant farm workers children by the University of Florida and the University of California that showed a correlation between their exposure to pesticides and many health problems as well as lower IQs. Like lead from paint particles the primary point of exposure children under age 5 will be most exposed to pesticides would be in their homes, the one place they should be well nurtured.
    Perhaps before totally discounting this you should do some research to find out more.

Here is a link that might be useful: pesticides and IQ

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

For many years I have seen the result of studies done on migrant farm workers children by the University of Florida and the University of California that showed a correlation between their exposure to pesticides

As their time in the fields goes up, so does the pesticide exposure ... and the time spent in school goes down. You can't separate the two, nor can you get rid of the damage that poor prenatal and early childhood nutrition and health care inflicts. And the culturally barren life they lead.

IQ is an artificial construct that depends on a certain level of familiarity with the culture the test was written for. My tested IQ is well into Mensa territory, but when I took a picture-based test meant to screen pre-schoolers, I tested as barely educable. Why? It was for Japanese preschoolers and I had no idea what was going on. Most of the class did even worse than I did.

To the child of migrant workers, the cultural assumptions of those tests are as foreign to them as Japan was to me.

• ronalawn82
    10 years ago

kimmsr, I did not mean to indicate that I would "totally discount" this study; only that I know that I would have to give it a lot of scrutiny.
    "University studies" used to be unimpeachable sources for me ... until I stumbled across sites like THESE.
    Long ago and far away, I had to study 'Silent Spring' by Ms. Rachel Carson. Later, I was impressed by the dogged intuition (there is no other word) of Dr. Frances Kelsey (she is my nominee for "Mother of the Nation") in her single-handed battle against the approval of thalidomide.
    The work of these two women highlight the mine strewn path we must carefully and cautiously tread whenever we think of using chemicals.
    And purely to demonstrate the effectiveness of adhering to the two maxims in my previous post, I tested and used agricultural chemicals for 20 years in commercial agriculture.
    I have two medical conditions.
    Osteoarthritis which is pretty prevalent in my father's side of the family.
    High cholesterol which also afflicts every close blood relation of mine.
    On this latter, it almost amuses me to reflect that my 'high' cholesterol level now, was 'normal' five years ago.
    That is why I refuse to take any cholesterol-lowering medication.

This post was edited by ronalawn82 on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 7:56

• Kimmsr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is a lot of really good information available on the internet and there is a lot of very bad misinformation on the internet, each of us needs to look at what is there and determine what is good and discount the rest. However, even sites like Organic Consumers Association can be good sources of information, unless one is totally biased against them.