Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

Swollen tips of peach branches

mensplace
14 years ago

On many of the branch tips of my peach trees at the very end of the new growth there is an obvious swollen area. If you use a knife to dig into it, there was or is some kind of a dried up looking larvae. No idea what it is or what to use to treat it. Like most growing peaches, I have had problems on a few select trees where the fruit looked fine almost until fully ripe and then comes the mold. That one is easy to treat. Also, on a few of the trees, there is the little worm in the center of the fruit. I have already sprayed once with dormant oil and will again, but feel that I should also spray with a fungicide and and insecticide. Strange how some trees go totally untouched while those right next to them have these issues. Trouble is, with the number of poisons on university spraying schedules, one would be spraying every other day throughut dormancy and fruiting. Spraying with a handheld sprayer is tedious work even in a home orchard, and I don't like to use more poisons than I have to. Too, the cost of an arsenal of sprays is overwhelming. here in GA the buds are already swelling. With a late cold last year, not a single peach. Are the organic sprays really effective? To grow and produce blemish free, wormless fruit how many sprays of dormant oil, fungicide, and poison are really necessary and what is effective/versus least poisonous? I have purchased older remedys such as dormant oil, lime/sulfur, copper and a basic fruit tree insecticide and already sprayed with the dormant oil and sodium bicarbonate.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County