Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimulus_gw

Fire ants and chiggers - non-toxic controls?

mimulus
15 years ago

Anyone know of a non-toxic way to wipe out or at least control fire ants or chiggers? I am trying to start organic gardening in a place in Florida, zone 9a, about an acre, semi-rural, sandy soil, near a lake (in case any of that makes a difference). There is a little bit of planting near the house but the rest is flat with a scruffy variety of weeds, grasses, wildflowers and whatever else has seeded there. It's been mowed when it gets too high and that's about it.

There are fire ant mounds all over the place. Former tenants have used Amdro and other ant killers. This last summer I started collecting oak leaves from neighbors and the fire ants are nesting in the pile now and at the edge of the compost pile (OUCH!).

I tried diatomaceous earth and boric acid around the mounds - didn't seem to help and I don't think I can use boric acid in the garden???

Someone suggested Sulphur for the chiggers but said it was already too hot for it to work (not good over 90?).

Anything you can put on your shoes or around your ankles to keep them off? Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz